Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jim_1

A long cruise - Seville, Spain - part 3

jim_1 (Zone 5B)
9 years ago

There had been much walking up to this point (and much more to go), so a lunch break was welcomed, about 1:30. We ate lunch at this restaurant (El Toro or something like that), we had tapas and wine. There were several shelves in the dining area that had nothing but Spanish wine. My guess is close to 150 bottles, most had been opened and several had back stock behind the open ones.

What is interesting here is that there are few bull fight events anymore in Spain. It is from the past; based on what our guides told us too many people felt it cruel to treat an animal like that.

Comments (13)

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another poster that caught my eye. Most expensive ticket is a bit more than $40.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I will be showing things out of order here. The stop immediately after our old town tour was The Alcazar. I will do that in detail later.

It is Sunday afternoon in Seville and we had some free time. I did a bit of walking and saw this relatively new light rain system. The cars are colorful.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Down a street and around a corner and through an alley. I came upon the Sunday market at Town Hall Square. Although it is a semi-circle, it is still referred to as a square. Because of where it is, I believe that I might have been the only tourist present. Lots of visiting and there were vendors selling mostly collectibles. I saw a few things that I liked, but then I considered how I would get them home. I had to pass.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The Seville Cathedral is massive and I saw this door of Saint Miguel upon leaving the Town Hall Square. (Sorry about not keeping the camera level.) This is one of 15 doors on the four facades of the structure. The thing in the foreground is like the wind vane that is at the peak of the bell tower.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is a view of the bell tower, Giralda, which was completed in 1198. This is a quote from a travel guide:

âÂÂThe Arab invasion lasted for almost eight centuries until in 1492 the Catholic Kings expelled the Arabs. During that time, Moorish Iberia (Spain and Portugal today) was called Al-Andalus. Moreover, Seville was designated as the capital during the Almohad period (1121-1269) and it was decided that a great mosque had to be founded.

âÂÂThe Giralda tower is probably the most ancient building of Seville. It was built between 1184 and 1198 to be the minaret of this great mosque. Its design is based on the minaret of the Koutoubia, the most important mosque of Morocco, located in Marrakech.âÂÂ

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The Cathedral of Saint Mary of the See in Seville is the 3rd largest church in the world and it was not possible for me to get a good photo due to the crowds and I could not get far enough away to take it all in. It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

Although there are those who dispute this, it is said that Christopher Columbus is buried within.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Due to time constraints, we did not enter (there is an entrance fee for the Cathedral and Giralda). My research shows that the central nave soars to almost 140 feet!

Should you ever get to Seville, there is a Seville Pass that will allow you into several buildings and attractions. You should be able to do a good job of seeing the sights and eating some good food in three full days.

I have included a link to a Wikipedia article on the cathedral, it if informative. I wish that I had read it before we left home.

Here is a link that might be useful: Seville Cathedral

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A wind vane on one of the corners of the cathedral. This is similar to what we saw in Palermo.

That blue sky is wonderful; however it was a chilly day.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is one of the street lamps just outside the cathedral. Cool!

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A view of the street on a cool Sunday in late November on the CathedralâÂÂs plaza. There were many booths selling do-dads down the street toward the left. I browsed, but did not buy (how to get it home again).

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A last look at the Cathedral and Giralda bell tower

It is only a few yards between the church and the entrance to Real Alcazar of Seville. That is next. It will take at least three sessions to get through it, as I have close to 100 photos to get in order to have it make sense. Of course I will not subject you to that many pictures!

• anneliese_32
    9 years ago

Great stonework and I love the streetlight.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The style of the street light probably has a name, but I will call it 'ornate'. Imagine how much light that throws out!

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative Design-Build Firms
More Discussions