Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
west_gardener

Chickens and golf balls, what the?

west_gardener
10 years ago

There I was, reading some posts in a knitting forum, and a knitter showed a shawl that was inspired by her colorful hen, she showed a pic of her hen sitting on a golf ball in the nesting box.

That's where the what the?came from. What's the golf ball doing in the nesting box?
I searched and came away with the idea that it was there to show the hens where to lay their eggs.
The things I learn from the net.

Comments (13)

• petaloid
    10 years ago

That's pretty funny, but I can see how it might make sense.

• lilosophie
    10 years ago

Yes, if you want to encourage them to lay in a certain place, like a nesting box, it helps to show them with golf ball or ping-pong ball or fake eggs, I never had much luck with that, they made their eggs wherever they felt it was ok.

• anneliese_32
    10 years ago

Going back to my farming days, every nest had a ceramic egg in the spring. It was supposed to encourage the chickens to lay eggs, encouraging to lay more for brooding.

• west_gardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I used to see what looked like ceramic eggs for sale at yard/garage sales around here, but they looked kinda beat up and not that clean, and I had no idea why people would keep something like that around. I bet they were for the chickens.

We used to be allowed to keep chickens and a rooster in the back yard. But when they wanted to gentrify the city, they made a new regulation, that a rooster could not cock-a-doodle-doo before 6 AM, or it would be removed.I don't think that worked out, because there are no more chickens or roosters around. I guess the rooster did not get the memo. LoL
    BTW, in Norway, roosters say "kykelyky".

• mawheel
    10 years ago

WG, does the Norwegian version sound like "Cock-a-doodle-do"? I'm half-way serious; I assume a dog's bark or cat's meow is the same, anywhere in the world, but what do the words sound like in different languages? (I may not be making sense; I've had a weird day, today!)

• batyabeth
    10 years ago

Knitters and knitting forums are the vanguard of everything wild and wonderful. Which forum? - because the one I'm on is the reason the internet was invented. I'd be lost without Ravelry!!

Happy New Year to all.......

• anneliese_32
    10 years ago

Interesting thought. In German the rooster goes kickerickicki. the "i" being an "ee" in English. The dog goes wau and the cat miau.
    Batya, nice to hear from you again. I miss your postings. Please let us know how things are going. With all that is going on in your corner, I often think of you. I lost my 3 contacts in Israel due to illnesses years ago.

• west_gardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I find it so interesting about different languages.
    Below is a link to how we humans have different sounds for dog barking in different languages. If you're not interested in the whole article. scroll down.
    I think about when Lilo got a new rooster, and she thinks he went in and talked rooster language to the hens, and gave his resume,

Here is a link that might be useful: Dog bark.

• anneliese_32
    10 years ago

Thanks for the link, that was fun.

• west_gardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Batya, glad to see you here at the GP. I luve Ravelry, but another favorite is Knitting Paradise, it was introduced to us here at the GP, by gabriell .

• batyabeth
    10 years ago

West gardener, what's your ravatar? I'm batyabeth. And I'll try K. Paradise. Thanks!

• west_gardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

batya, I have not signed up to Knitting Paradise yet. So no avatar.
    I enjoy the "picture" board. Some awesome people and crafters there.

• mawheel
    10 years ago

WG, thanks for the link; it was interesting and fun.

Sponsored
More Discussions