Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chickens and golf balls, what the?

Posted by west_gardener (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 2, 13 at 19:07

There I was, reading some posts in a knitting forum, and a knitter showed a shawl that was inspired by her colorful hen, she showed a pic of her hen sitting on a golf ball in the nesting box.

That's where the what the?came from. What's the golf ball doing in the nesting box?
I searched and came away with the idea that it was there to show the hens where to lay their eggs.
The things I learn from the net.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chickens and golf balls, what the?

That's pretty funny, but I can see how it might make sense.

o

Yes, if you want to encourage them to lay in a certain place, like a nesting box, it helps to show them with golf ball or ping-pong ball or fake eggs, I never had much luck with that, they made their eggs wherever they felt it was ok.

o

Going back to my farming days, every nest had a ceramic egg in the spring. It was supposed to encourage the chickens to lay eggs, encouraging to lay more for brooding.

o

I used to see what looked like ceramic eggs for sale at yard/garage sales around here, but they looked kinda beat up and not that clean, and I had no idea why people would keep something like that around. I bet they were for the chickens.

We used to be allowed to keep chickens and a rooster in the back yard. But when they wanted to gentrify the city, they made a new regulation, that a rooster could not cock-a-doodle-doo before 6 AM, or it would be removed.I don't think that worked out, because there are no more chickens or roosters around. I guess the rooster did not get the memo. LoL
BTW, in Norway, roosters say "kykelyky".

o

• Posted by mwheel East. WV-Z.6 (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 3, 13 at 17:49

WG, does the Norwegian version sound like "Cock-a-doodle-do"? I'm half-way serious; I assume a dog's bark or cat's meow is the same, anywhere in the world, but what do the words sound like in different languages? (I may not be making sense; I've had a weird day, today!)

o

• Posted by batya Israel north 8-9-10 (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 4, 13 at 6:28

Knitters and knitting forums are the vanguard of everything wild and wonderful. Which forum? - because the one I'm on is the reason the internet was invented. I'd be lost without Ravelry!!

Happy New Year to all.......

o

Interesting thought. In German the rooster goes kickerickicki. the "i" being an "ee" in English. The dog goes wau and the cat miau.
Batya, nice to hear from you again. I miss your postings. Please let us know how things are going. With all that is going on in your corner, I often think of you. I lost my 3 contacts in Israel due to illnesses years ago.

o

I find it so interesting about different languages.
Below is a link to how we humans have different sounds for dog barking in different languages. If you're not interested in the whole article. scroll down.
I think about when Lilo got a new rooster, and she thinks he went in and talked rooster language to the hens, and gave his resume,

Here is a link that might be useful: Dog bark.

o

Thanks for the link, that was fun.

o

Batya, glad to see you here at the GP. I luve Ravelry, but another favorite is Knitting Paradise, it was introduced to us here at the GP, by gabriell .

o

• Posted by batya Israel north 8-9-10 (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 8, 13 at 11:50

West gardener, what's your ravatar? I'm batyabeth. And I'll try K. Paradise. Thanks!

o

batya, I have not signed up to Knitting Paradise yet. So no avatar.
I enjoy the "picture" board. Some awesome people and crafters there.

o

• Posted by mwheel East. WV-Z.6 (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 8, 13 at 20:06

WG, thanks for the link; it was interesting and fun.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here