Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Barbarian Utopia

Posted by pidge z6PA (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 28, 10 at 19:18

Tecolote and Venado (aka my son Paul and his eight-year-old son Asher) headed out on March 9 to hike the length of the Appalachian Trail this year. They are within 100 miles of the 2200 mile trek to the finish on Maine's Mt. Katahdin. I wondered if Asher could do this--but he has become the driver of the adventure. Here's to you, Asher!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Barbarian Utopia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Barbarian Utopia

I walked many parts of the "Appalachian Trail" while living back east. The trails were well marked and it was an easy walk for us week-end walkers. It is a beautiful part of Virginia and West Virginia. What's up with the "Barbarian" thingy?

o

West, the phrase comes from Benton Mackaye, one of the central figures in establishing the Appalachian Trail and a man whose writings are both startling and mind-changing--though sometimes a bit too hyperbolic for my taste. From what I can gather from the little I have read of Mackaye, he meant the phrase to contrast with the Metrolitan who wants the trail to be less wild and more tame.

Here is a link that might be useful: Benton Mackaye

o

Many congratulations to both for their accomplishment.

I've walked portions of the trail, and once upon a time had hopes of walking the whole thing. At that time, a notable amount of the southern segment was really for experienced hikers with vague markers and tough climbs.

Do let us know how they rated it.

o

• Posted by mwheel East. WV-Z.6 (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 29, 10 at 13:40

Walking the complete Appalachian Trail is a great accomplishment for anybody, but it's extra great for an eight year old. He must be a very special and very tough kid. You must be proud of both of them.

o

The toughest climb, according to Tecolote, was the Mahoosuc Notch in Western Maine. Often described as the "toughest mile on the AT," this notch can take several hours to treverse. Tecolote and Venado (my son's and grandson's trail names) were very pumped up by having done it in 1 hr. 45 mins.
If you are on Facebook, check out Barbarian Utopia for a remarkable account of this amazing trek.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mahoosuc Notch

o

• Posted by lilod NoCal/8 (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 29, 10 at 23:37

I have followed the trek on Facebook and am so impressed at their accomplishment. Venado will never forget this and it will have a great influence on his outlook on his life and his future.

o

Lilo, I hear from everyone who has met up with them and also from Tecolote that the little boy who headed out on this trek is a different boy now. I really do think this will work out to be a life-changing experience for him. I am anxious to see him again and just "feel" what's been happening to him.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here