Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Maybe this will work

Posted by gandle 4 NE (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 7, 12 at 21:01

Been having major computer problems. DIL has been working on it and I believe it is now working. Not really ready for the temperature change we have been having. 97 yesterday for a high, 45 this morning and with 30's predicted by next weekend. Happy not to have 100's every day but 30's, not yet.

Seasons are so advanced this year, we have been picking apples that normally wouldn't be ready for 2 weeks. But now Leone is making and freezing apple pies, I've been making cinnamon applesauce and eating 3 or 4 fresh apples a day. The Jonathon is almost ready and will be in a few more days, love them but they are not the best keepers.

Over Labor day we had the clan here for a couple of days. Got a SIL and grandson to dig up all the raspberry patch. Sure hated to but I really can't take proper care of it. They require pruning after fruiting and thinning and I just couldn't do it. We had 2 huge pickup loads of plants to go to the tree dump. Next year I think that will be an addition to our sweet corn patch only will plant it later to extend the season. Grandson tilled in an entire compost pile when we got it clear, should be good for next summer.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Maybe this will work

How nice to have such helpful family members. Sounds like a lot was accomplished.

I really love tree-ripened apples. Good to hear that you and Leone are cooking them up. My late great aunt made such good pies, and she gave me a gizmo that peels and slices apples -- I guess it's almost time for me to get busy too.

There is a place in SoCal that we like to drive to in the fall for apples. With this heat wave I'll bet their crops come in earlier this year too.

o

gandle , I understand about the need to downsizing a garden. I went from a full size garden plot to 3 3x4 raised garden boxes. It was a perfect solution for me, because I could no longer handle the full garden.
I'm glad your family helped with the work, my DH built the boxes for me and I'm grateful for his help.

o

gandle-glad things are moving along with your dear familys' help.

It's good you have such a great compost pile-----I'm a wee bit jealous. I mostly have a long, long, long bank of Oak leaves----DSIL said the tiller needed the gas changed out from sitting before it could be used----so I just kinda mow along the edges every time I'm in that section with the mower----it's 'way too big for hand-turning....

Hope you are well.
KJ

o

I used to have a compost pile, it was hard work but it produced "black gold".
Then the city decided to start a garden trim recycling program, they provide a tote for the clipping and offer free compost in return.We go up to the recycling center and take as much as we want. We used to pack about 12 bags of compost, but lately we can only manage about 6 half filled bags.Downsizing .is for real

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here