Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A gardening quote

Posted by Jim-1 5b (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 30, 13 at 21:47

I just 'discovered' this on-line and thought that I would share with you:

Everyone must leave something behind when he dies... A child or a book or a painting or a house or a wall built or a pair of shoes made. Or a garden planted. Something your hand touched some way so your soul has somewhere to go when you die, and when people look at that tree or that flower you planted, you're there.
It doesn't matter what you do... so long as you change something from the way it was before you touched it into something that's like you after you take your hands away. The difference between the man who just cuts lawns and a real gardener is in the touching... The lawn-cutter might just as well not have been there at all; the gardener will be there a lifetime.

Ray Bradbury in Fahrenheit 451

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A gardening quote

Thanks Jim, I like the quote very much, it borders somewhat on my selection of the day.
Please keep up your quote search, we need help and not only for the quotes, we need new faces.

o

Thank you, Jim, for joining us. I like the quote and I love Ray Bradbury. Hope you will be with us in the future.

o

Very nice quote. It's good to see others helping out with these wonderful quotes.

o

• Posted by mwheel East. WV-Z.6 (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 1, 13 at 11:02

What a meaningful quote; thanks for posting and sharing it.

o

As I put the garden to bed for the winter, I think about Murphy's law (or is it someone else's)? It decrees that the next people to occupy this space will not want to spend their time keeping it up and instead will have a lawn here. But some day, long after I'm gone, my daughter will say to my son, "Remember the vegetables and the beautiful flowers in Mom's garden"?

A friend will visit her garden one day and ask where she got that lovely plant and Claudia will share the seeds - life will go on - and we have planted beauty.

o

Nice quote, Jim. Welcome to the GP.

o

Thanks for the great quote, and welcome.

o

Thanks for the quote Jim,and thanks for leading me over here.I didn't know this forum existed until I saw Jims post at the garden table,and I've been a member of the gardenweb since 1998.

So now i'll have to check this forum out as well,just what I need!!!!!!LOL
Kathi

o

Thu, Oct 3, 13 at 18:05

Hi Kathi, welcome to the Garden Party.

I'm not familiar with the "garden table" forum; I'll have to check it out.

o

Hi , Kathi, welcome to GP. I'm with mwheel , I'm not familiar with the "garden table" forum. Please post a link

o

It's called The Kitchen Table; a part of the Home Forums.

Jim

o

Thu, Oct 3, 13 at 21:55

Thanks, Jim. The Kitchen Table, I know, b/c I go there, too. It's a busy place, with lots of posters. In fact, I even venture to Hot Topics when I'm feeling brave. I only lurk there, though. Some of those folks sound tough! :>)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here