Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janis_g

Any good home remedies for Shingles

Janis_G
10 years ago

I have the Shingles big time.
I never did break out with Chicken Pox when I was growing up.
I thought I could never get the Shingles.
I will tell you this, they hurt like nothing I have ever had before
and as soon as it is possible, I will get the vaccine.

Comments (9)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

You MUST see your doctor, if you haven't already. There are meds that can decrease the duration and chance of complications. If you can tolerate OTC pain meds, they can be a little helpful.

My first thought went immediately to coconut oil, knowing how helpful it has been for me in healing cuts and burns and other skin issues. It has anti- bacterial and anti-viral properties.

Lo and behold, it is listed as a remedy for shingles. I just did some reading on it. You can find organic coconut oil at a health food store.....it is a solid at room temperature and will come in a jar.

I'll be sending thoughts of strength your way....please see your doctor.

My eldest brother called all of us siblings after he came down with shingles. His mission was to MAKE us promise to get vaccinated as soon as possible. He also said that it was the worst pain that he's ever experienced.

• gmatx zone 6
    10 years ago

Janis - Your doctor can give you an anti-viral med to take that will help IF you do it within the first 48 hours of your outbreak. If at anytime during this horrible period you are going through, you have pain in your eye(s) run, don't walk, to your doctor. Shingles that occur in your eyes can cause blindness. One of the worst things you can do for shingles is apply a cortisone cream. It intensifies the damage. Some of my patients have told me they wore white cotton gloves to bed at night to keep from rubbing the blisters and breaking them. There are a long list of things you shouldn't do when you have the shingles, but I am sure you have already read them.

Lots of hugs, prayers and healing thoughts coming your way. Take care and let us know how you are doing.

Mary

• Janis_G
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've seen 2 doctors.
    One because my family doctor was on vacation.
    She thought it was an infection in my breast tissue.
    I didn't have a rash then.
    My family doctor took one look at me and said shingles.
    He gave me a couple of scripts for it .
    It started on my spine and now has spread half way around my body.
    I will get some of the coconut oil today.

Get the vaccine!!!!

• mawheel
    10 years ago

Janis, I am so sorry for your discomfort--read "pain"--from shingles. I had them in 1999, and 14 years later, still have sensitivity in the nerve endings of my thigh, which was where they developed.

Healing thoughts and prayers coming your way.

• sweet_betsy No AL Z7
    10 years ago

I am so sorry that you are under the weather, Miss Janis. Hope each new day finds you feeling better.

• west_gardener
    10 years ago

HI Janis, sorry you have to go through the pain of shingles.
    Your post reminded me that DH and I should get vaccinated.
    I hope you feel better soon.

• gabriell_gw
    10 years ago

Janis, I'm so sorry to hear you have shingles. I have heard it is awful! Sending you my sympathy.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    10 years ago

Next time.... God forbid, the earlier you figure it out completley or think you might have it, get treatement!!!! I can't tell you how much difference it makes. (((Janis))) glad it's a cyberhug because I sure wouldn't want to hurt you by really hugging you.

Get well soon.

:(

• Lisa_H OK
    10 years ago

I had them on my forehead in my late 30s. I had no clue what it was, but I could trace the nerve path across my skull every time I moved my eyebrows. You don't realize how often you do that until you feel it! I was getting ready to leave town and finally decided I should call the doctor. I was fortunate he knew immediately what it was and met me in a parking lot to diagnose it on my way out of town and handed me a script. I got a quick education on how I could have lost my eyesight. I never did break out in a rash.

The meds are good, I hope they kick in soon for you. It took a while for all the sensation to go away, but the worst went away fairly quickly.

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource
More Discussions