Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilosophie

Quote Sunday, 10-23

lilosophie
12 years ago

There may be times when we re powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.

Elie Wiesel

So often we think we have got to make a difference and be a big dog. Let us just try to be little fleas biting. enough fleas biting strategically can make a big dog very uncomfortable.

Marian Wright Edelman

Comments (6)

• west_gardener
    12 years ago

Oh,I like the Elie Wiesel Quote.But , I'll go a step further and ask why I have not seen any "voter" registration booths at the current "occupy wallstreet" movements.

• mawheel
    12 years ago

The sermon at church this morning had an illustration about little things eventually having a big impact: Cory Tenboom was in one of the infamous Nazi prison camps. Her unit was overrun with fleas, which added an extra burden to what they were already suffering.

She survived, and many years later, while conducting a prayer service, was approached by a man whom she reconized as one of the former prison guards. After she managed to let her faith prevail, they began to talk. She asked him why her unit was spared a trip to the gas chambers, when so many others weren't. He told her that none of the guards wanted to get near them because of the flea infestation.

• anneliese_32
    12 years ago

So often the little things make the big differences, they get the snowball rolling.

• oscarthecat
    12 years ago

Good things for a Sunday morning. Thanks everyone. Steve in Stevens County.

• west_gardener
    12 years ago

There is such a thing as a "passive" protest. I may have mentioned this before, but I'll mention it again, since "little things" can mean a lot.
    I grew up in Norway during WW11, during the German Occupation. Two of my aunts were master knitters and the Nazis ordered them to knit socks and gloves for the German Soldiers. They were forbidden to use any wool for personal use.
    I remember them sitting around the kitchen table planning how to knit for the Nazis. They knitted short socks inside normal looking socks, so when a German "soldier" would put on the socks they would be way to short. They did the same thing with the gloves. When the Nazis confronted my aunties about their knitting, my aunties explained that they were knitting for "double warmth"..The Nazis gave up on them and my aunties spent the rest of the war gathering yarn wherever they could and knitted for personal use and the Norwegian soldiers.

• mawheel
    12 years ago

My apologies for having misspelled and misstated the name of Cornelia "Corrie" ten Boom. Her life and accomplishments deserved better. :>(

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions