Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Quote 10 - 10 - 11

Posted by don_socal socal (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 10, 11 at 1:12

"The goal of fasting is inner unity. This means hearing, but not with the ear; hearing, but not with the
understanding; it is hearing with the spirit, with your whole being. The hearing that is only in the ears is one thing. The hearing of the understanding is another, but the hearing of the spirit is not limited to any one faculty, to the ear, or to the mind. Hence, it demands the emptiness
of the faculties, and when the faculties are empty, then your whole being listens. There is then a direct grasp of what is right before you that can never be heard with the ear or understood with the mind. Fasting of the heart empties the faculties, frees you from limitations
and from preoccupations."

--Fr. Thomas Merton (1915-1968)

"Through fasting, let your mind depend on its own power. When that power manifests, the life force in the body becomes increasingly reinforced with the eternal energy continually flowing into the brain and spine from the cosmic energy around the body, entering through the medulla. Becoming detached from dependence on outer, physical sources of bodily sustenance, the life force sees that it is being supported from within, and wonders how this is so. The mind then says: 'The solids on which the body used to depend are nothing more than gross condensations of energy. You are pure energy, and you are pure consciousness.' Then, whatever command the mind impinges in the consciousness of the life force, it will manifest accordingly."

--Paramahansa Yogananda (1893-1952)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Quote 10 - 10 - 11

Maybe the hardest thing to do. Merton struggled with letting go for years.

o

Don't know if I want to try it - Alleopathic medicine does not approve of it, but some other medical disciplines recommend fasting as a way of purifying the system.
One of my cousins in Switzerland, suffering from a terminal illness, choose to end her life that way, I understand she went serenely and easy.

o

I don't know what to think about fasting. How do you know when enough is enough before it becomes dangerous to your health?
How about hunger strikes? Like lilo said, I've also had relatives that chose to stop eating at the end of their life.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here