Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anneliese_32

Quote, 10/11/12

anneliese_32
11 years ago

I am let to reflect how more delightful to an undebauched mind, is the task of making improvements on the earth, than all the vain glory which can be acquired from ravaging it, by the most uninterupted career of conquests.

Georg Washington

The planet is not terra firma.

It's a delicate flower and it must be cared for.

It's small.

It's isolated, and there is no resupply.

And we are mistreating it.

Scott Carpenter, astronaut

Comments (4)

• mawheel
    11 years ago

I get discouraged when I realize that most people--my DH and DD included--think it's too much trouble to recycle whatever can be. I agree that it can be a pain, but I HAVE to do it. IMO, if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem!

I also agree with George Washington--however formal his language--and Scott Carpenter, too. I think his words are almost Gospel--and I'm not being sacrilegeous, either. But, again, that's just my opinion.

• lilosophie
    11 years ago

Two excellent quotes again.
    mwheel, Joann and I recycle whatever is recyclable, we are fortunate to have the blue bin, a mixed curb-side service, makes it easy. Strangely enough, or maybe not, it has had a side effect: I used to keep yogurt containers and other things, wash and put them on shelves,, thinking they may be useful, and now I don't feel that way, they are useful when they get recycled.

• mawheel
    11 years ago

Lilo, your county is more up to date than mine. We have to keep our stuff, sort it, then take it to the local recycling center, about a ten mile trip. We go about every two weeks and I'm always amazed at the amount of trash two people generate. Fortunately, almost all plastics, not only 1 and 2, but 3 thru 7, are now accepted--but not together, so that makes an extra bag of stuff. Junk mail, newspapers, magazines, and cardboard--except corrugated--can be mixed, which is helpful. Steel cans, aluminum, and glass all have their own bins at the recycle center, but we mix them in one container at home, then sort them when we get there. Again, much more information than you needed or wanted to know, but when I get going, I'm hard to stop. :>)

• west_gardener
    11 years ago

I don't know if I fully agree with Scott Carpenter, astronaut, about his theory/view/philosophy about terra firma. I think the earth is the most terra firma we humans have at this time, and it's worth preserving until we can come up with a more solid terra firma.
    On a personal note, when my DH was a private pilot, he and I used to communicate via radio while he was flying around, and our code word was "Terra Firma". that meant "come home". That's the only terra firma we know at this time.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm
More Discussions