Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Quote, 10/11/12

Posted by anneliese_32 6 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 11, 12 at 6:08

I am let to reflect how more delightful to an undebauched mind, is the task of making improvements on the earth, than all the vain glory which can be acquired from ravaging it, by the most uninterupted career of conquests.
Georg Washington

The planet is not terra firma.
It's a delicate flower and it must be cared for.
It's small.
It's isolated, and there is no resupply.
And we are mistreating it.
Scott Carpenter, astronaut

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Quote, 10/11/12

• Posted by mwheel East. WV-Z.6 (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 11, 12 at 9:31

I get discouraged when I realize that most people--my DH and DD included--think it's too much trouble to recycle whatever can be. I agree that it can be a pain, but I HAVE to do it. IMO, if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem!

I also agree with George Washington--however formal his language--and Scott Carpenter, too. I think his words are almost Gospel--and I'm not being sacrilegeous, either. But, again, that's just my opinion.

o

Two excellent quotes again.
mwheel, Joann and I recycle whatever is recyclable, we are fortunate to have the blue bin, a mixed curb-side service, makes it easy. Strangely enough, or maybe not, it has had a side effect: I used to keep yogurt containers and other things, wash and put them on shelves,, thinking they may be useful, and now I don't feel that way, they are useful when they get recycled.

o

• Posted by mwheel East. WV-Z.6 (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 11, 12 at 15:59

Lilo, your county is more up to date than mine. We have to keep our stuff, sort it, then take it to the local recycling center, about a ten mile trip. We go about every two weeks and I'm always amazed at the amount of trash two people generate. Fortunately, almost all plastics, not only 1 and 2, but 3 thru 7, are now accepted--but not together, so that makes an extra bag of stuff. Junk mail, newspapers, magazines, and cardboard--except corrugated--can be mixed, which is helpful. Steel cans, aluminum, and glass all have their own bins at the recycle center, but we mix them in one container at home, then sort them when we get there. Again, much more information than you needed or wanted to know, but when I get going, I'm hard to stop. :>)

o

I don't know if I fully agree with Scott Carpenter, astronaut, about his theory/view/philosophy about terra firma. I think the earth is the most terra firma we humans have at this time, and it's worth preserving until we can come up with a more solid terra firma.
On a personal note, when my DH was a private pilot, he and I used to communicate via radio while he was flying around, and our code word was "Terra Firma". that meant "come home". That's the only terra firma we know at this time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here