11 years ago

Has anyone heard from Mary?

Mary you are on our minds today.

Be safe and check in if you can.

Comments (10)

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    11 years ago

Be safe!

I do wish we could have a roll call after this storm just to be really sure. Coastal people especially. Let us know if you can? Love you guys!

• anneliese_32
    11 years ago

Have been thinking of you too and wondered if you had to evacuate when I looked at the "A" map of NYC.

• Janis_G
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm like a mother hen with chicks missing until I hear from everyone.

I hope the ones that need to evacuate will get out.
    Please don't take any chances.

• gandle
    11 years ago

Yes Mary, wondered about you.

• kathyjane
    11 years ago

MR----be careful---keep your writings safe, also!!!

NYC is a ghost town today--
    ---Now, there's a story..

Seriously, be very careful and try to stay warm, dry and focused.
    (so Jan won't have to run up there with some of her chicken soup to bring you around!)
    KJ

• Mrobbins
    11 years ago

You are all so nice. Nothing to worry about, I promise you. I'm staying at my dad's in Manhattan, and the car's gassed up and garaged so we can escape if the electricity goes out. But for now we've got water, electricity, cooking gas, and a ton of food! I've been making tea all day and snacking on apples and nice cheese I brought back with me after a weekend upstate. My dad made leg of lamb for dinner. My office was closed today and is tomorrow too. I feel like a kid on a snow day.

My cousin is back in Brooklyn (she lives downstairs from me) and we are not in the evacuation zone. We're actually a block away from Zone B. She's looking after my cat and she says so far everything's fine there too.

My thoughts are with the city workers who had to be on duty today. As a former civil servant I know we have some terrific dedicated folks working hard to make this city safe no matter what the weather brings.

Kinda weird to have all public transportation down. That's why I feel good being way up in Manhattan with the West Side Highway just a block away.

Now back to my Netflix account, where I'm going to finish the old Upstairs Downstairs series (I'm up to 1908 so far).

Best wishes to everyone dealing with this storm. Be safe!

• Janis_G
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mary, thanks for checking in. I've been watching the weather
    channel all day. Hope the power stays on.

• Mrobbins
    11 years ago

AOK so far! Except now I'm getting v. bored with Upstairs Downstairs...

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    11 years ago

M,

Only you could make a hurricane enjoyable. A kid on a snow day. You make me smile. Still stay safe. Everyone stay safe. I'm hugging all y'all!

• Mrobbins
    11 years ago

Once the bridges were reopened, my dad and I decided it would be best if I decamped to Brooklyn. We put my stuff in his car and headed out along Broadway. What should have taken half an hour took 1 hr 45 min! So weird to see all the lights out below 36th street. There were dayglo-yellow-suited traffic cops at several intersections, but not all, so everyone drove at a cautious 30-something MPH, and everything was AOK. New Yorkers are polite in emergencies. But it was eerie to see all the lights out, even in the late afternoon. I wouldn't want to be in downtown Manhattan after dark today.

So good to be home. My office is closed tomorrow too! Maybe I will plant the spring bulbs...!

My stoop-pit garden had a tough time: plants were uprooted and blown to the edges. The soil was smoothed out like a freshly laid sidewalk. I resisted the temptation to write my initials in it.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida
More Discussions