Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Not quite what I wanted

Posted by meldy_nva z6b VA (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 28, 10 at 11:53

But it will do. (see link)

The oven-control thermostat on my beloved gas cookstove has died. Much searching fails to find the replacement part since they are no longer manufactured. Not surprising when one considers this stove is over 23 years old.

DH wants cookies, pies, bread, roasts. Otherwise, I'd just ignore the dead oven.

I've had a real culture shock in looking at the new stoves. The polite thing to say is that they are not to my taste -- in reality, I stood in the showrooom and said, "Those are the UGLIEST things I've ever seen." Oversized cast iron grates standing up high, the better to burn if you brush your hand against one when it's hot. And we all know how cast iron holds the heat - I should want that in the summer?!! Unsightly cast iron grills across the top so you can't put a spoon rest down. Badly designed oven vents that will send hot air either over your pots (high vent) or over the scanty area between burner sets [on the couple designs that didn't cover this space with grillwork. DH lifted one of the smaller CI grates, and said No Way, ridiculously heavy. Petite, poorly designed electronic functions on those that had such. Grrr. No storage drawer at the bottom of the unit; most are 'broilers'; those that claimed storage apparently think we use nothing but a few pizza pans - couldn't put my shortest pot into those. Snif, sob. And the backsplashes... words fail me because all these years I've had a glass&stainless steel one; easy to clean while protecting all the functions.

Okay. I'll quit whining. However, if you ever meet someone in charge of designing cookstoves, I have a few things I'd like to say.

Here is a link that might be useful: cookstove

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Not quite what I wanted

My Mom had one of these Wedgewood stoves.

Here is a link that might be useful: ANTIQUE GAS STOVES

o

We got this setup earlier this year:

StoveMicro

And while I was upset at first about not being able to put my spoonrest on the stove, I've actually found that I much prefer it over there on the side. It's a lot easier to clean the countertop than the stovetop, and if I don't make a mess on the stovetop, then all I have to do is wipe down the countertop and I'm done. lol Of course, that may or may not be the laziest thing I've ever uttered. :-P

I have not noticed the grates on top holding the heat anymore than the smaller ones on my old stove did.

But, the storage drawer is a little smaller than I like. But it holds all of my cookie sheets, pizza stones, and 1 of my cake pans, just fine. :-)

P.S. The small, middle burner, is for simmering... and it really DOES work wonderfully. I haven't burned any sauces on it yet. And the rapid boil burner (the largest one) is WONDERFUL!!!

o

Beautiful kitchen set-up Tish. Steve S.

o

• Posted by tibs 5/6 OH (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 28, 10 at 19:16

I feel your pain. I swear when mine goes I am off to Amish country and getting a gas stove that is all gas, no electricity. I hate it when the power goes out I can't use my oven because it is an electronic start (yeah, I know, that means I have a pilot light on all the time). but then I won't have automatic oven cleaning. I want what doesn't exist.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here