Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meldy_nva

Not quite what I wanted

meldy_nva
13 years ago

But it will do. (see link)

The oven-control thermostat on my beloved gas cookstove has died. Much searching fails to find the replacement part since they are no longer manufactured. Not surprising when one considers this stove is over 23 years old.

DH wants cookies, pies, bread, roasts. Otherwise, I'd just ignore the dead oven.

I've had a real culture shock in looking at the new stoves. The polite thing to say is that they are not to my taste -- in reality, I stood in the showrooom and said, "Those are the UGLIEST things I've ever seen." Oversized cast iron grates standing up high, the better to burn if you brush your hand against one when it's hot. And we all know how cast iron holds the heat - I should want that in the summer?!! Unsightly cast iron grills across the top so you can't put a spoon rest down. Badly designed oven vents that will send hot air either over your pots (high vent) or over the scanty area between burner sets [on the couple designs that didn't cover this space with grillwork. DH lifted one of the smaller CI grates, and said No Way, ridiculously heavy. Petite, poorly designed electronic functions on those that had such. Grrr. No storage drawer at the bottom of the unit; most are 'broilers'; those that claimed storage apparently think we use nothing but a few pizza pans - couldn't put my shortest pot into those. Snif, sob. And the backsplashes... words fail me because all these years I've had a glass&stainless steel one; easy to clean while protecting all the functions.

Okay. I'll quit whining. However, if you ever meet someone in charge of designing cookstoves, I have a few things I'd like to say.

Here is a link that might be useful: cookstove

Comments (4)

Sponsored
More Discussions