Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilod_gw

Bat in the house

lilod
13 years ago

I was taking a quick shower before bed-time, door closed and heard the cats thumping and bumping in the living area - wow,, I thought, they are pretty rambunctious tonight. Went to check on what was happening, they all were agitated, a couple of dining chairs were overturned, a couple of pictures on the family wall were on the floor, others dangling at odd angles - and there it was: a shadow silently gliding along, right under the ceiling - a bat. One of the little brown ones.

It was late, I needed sleep, so I decided best to go to bed, make sure it's not in the bedroom, close the door and deal with what's happening in the living area next morning.

Apparently bat went to sleep too, the living room was not destroyed, cats calm and going about their usual routine, bat not found.

Later Jasmyn had her way with it, dragging it about, but then it disappeared again.

Joann found it late afternoon, hiding behind the African Violets; she scooped it up with a yogurt container and deposited it outside.

Next morning it was gone, so it probably wasn't hurt.

A couple days later Joann found a bat in her house, different,, larger species. It also got back out.

Wonder if they are looking for a place to hibernate?

Comments (11)

• west_gardener
    13 years ago

I don't know enough about bats to know if they are looking for a place to hibernate. The weather here in Northern CA has been very unusual this year. A very cool summer and a very hot fall. Perhaps the critters are confused.

DD, who lives in N.CA saw a bat flying in her house. It came out when they started a fire in the fireplace. They could not catch it that evening, but she found it the next morning, hanging from the shoe laces inside her shoe. I'm going into my Eeeek mode now. She called DGS (he will be four years old this week)to see the bat, and together they carried the shoe with the bat still hanging from the laces into a tree outside the front door and placed it gently onto a branch.

• gabriell_gw
    13 years ago

All of you are much more brave than I am. If I had a bat in my house I would have to move.

• west_gardener
    13 years ago

I'm not brave at all, I'd call Batman

{{gwi:194247}}

• lilod
    Original Author
    13 years ago

A bat in the house is inconvenient, but it takes much, much more to freak me. Had I seen the Mountain Lion take off my little goat, I would probably have freaked, but to no avail.
    I try to discourage my cats from telling or showing me what they have caught, but I did rescue fence lizards many times and other beneficial critters, cremated mice in my wood-stove. I believe the cats thought I was barbecuing them and totally approved LOL
    It's country living - and I am really, truly a former city girl...

• anneliese_32
    13 years ago

I know I am bats and also like the critters. We lost a lot of the bats around here due to the bat disease. Here they overwinter in lots of the caves we have and many of the larger caves are closed up to spelunking because people cary the whitenose disease from cave to cave.

• mwoods
    13 years ago

Baby bats are the cutest things. A very good friend of mine rescues bats and I love going over there and feeding them,adults and babies.

{{gwi:194250}}

• lilod
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Awwww! How cute is that!

• anneliese_32
    13 years ago

Love that picture.

Marda, I wished I could go with you and feed the bats. I love them since my biology teacher told me to close my eyes and open my hands and I felt my first bat close up. He had found it in his office. He knew that I would not freak out like the rest of the class.

• mawheel
    13 years ago

They really are cute! Do they actually drink from those bottles?

• mwoods
    13 years ago

The bats I have fed were fed with an eye dropper and a lot smaller than these babies.I found a lot of pictures of little batlings online and many of them showed them with bottles. One interesting thing I learned is that when they are content,they purr like kittens. You can feel the vibration in your hand. Also,my friend has a little gadget that picks up high sounds we can't hear. So when they are "purring" you hear these soft high pitch little squeaks. It's fascinating.

• west_gardener
    13 years ago

The photo of the baby bats is so cute and I'm all for saving bats, they can be beneficial. But not in my house.