Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meldy_nva

The Clean Plate book club

meldy_nva
11 years ago

Am reading Sara Nelson's "So Many Books, so Little Time". She uses 'clean plate book' to describe those books that, by page 15 or 50 or even 200, you realize is not one that you want to read any further, but you feel obliged to finish - that same feeling of obligation that our parents sometimes thrust upon us (especially if we insisted upon a third helping): you asked for it so now you must "clean your plate!" She describes a liberating feeling of maturity when putting aside a book at page 15, 50, or whatever; an acknowledgement that we are mature enough to know what is readable and are liberated enough to not feel obliged to finish reading the book just because it is there.

I don't know that I feel any more mature, but I certainly feel a sort of liberation when I finally decide that it is okay to put aside a book that simply fails to hold my attention. This happens maybe once or twice in most years, but last week I had TWO in that category. The second one was so ploddingly dull that I actually re-read the first five pages three times before I admitted that the plodding wasn't due to a miniscule attention span on my part, but a flaw of authorship. Yep, I felt free to return it to the library to await some other hapless reader.

Comments (14)

• gabriell_gw
    11 years ago

The book my book group had for this month was so dull I stopped at page 33.Not sure when I had given up on a book but think life is to short to waste time. We met yesterday and every other member read the book and found it interesting. Different strokes.

• lindac
    11 years ago

Really difficult when the book is written by a friend who finally got published....and the book is really, as someone put it "A hard read".
    I'm probably going to have to lie about that one.

• agnespuffin
    11 years ago

I have found it easier to dump the dull ones now. It's the Internet! I don't have to read in order to just pass time.

The author's style means a lot to me. I think some could make a telephone book interesting.

And THANKS for libraries everywhere!!

• mawheel
    11 years ago

The books that are discussed at the discussion group at my library are chosen a year in advance by us, the members. Boy, the last two months we sure did a lousy job! Those two books (non-fiction) fell into the category of something one should read for enlightenment (!) or to broaden one's knowledge, but they were hard-going. I wasn't the only member who didn't finished reading them! Of course, I joined the group to read things I might not choose for myself, but that's the way it is.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

I think that this topic, which I find very interesting, would be more relevant if we knew the names of the books and authors. Why are you all holding back? Linda, you have a GOOD reason not to mention the author. I have a few of those on my bookshelves, too. (By any chance do I know the author of whom you are speaking?)

• meldy_nva
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Linda~ the problem when friends publish is that they are generally friends,close enough to have over for coffee but not so close that absolute honesty is an expected part of the relationship. In those cases, it helps to be sideways-distracting (and not too outspoken about one's own opinion); so something like: "I'm just so proud of you for getting published! Did it take a long time? Did the editor require lots and lots of re-writing? Did you get to choose your cover? Do you have to do bookshop tours?" and any other indirectly relevant questions you can think of. It is possible to fascinated by the process more than by the final result; and most people can detect true interes t as well as faux praise so the more questions you can think of that indicate a true interest, the better. Of course, if the author flat-out asks your opinion of the writing, then you have a dilemna :)

rhizo~ I'm noted for having a selective memory which tends to delete author-names and titles except in outstanding cases (outstandingly good). However, I looked the reject up: "Blur" by Bill Kovach was the 5-page flop. While the writing probably improved later in the book, I just wasn't able to force myself to find out where.

• Lisa_H OK
    11 years ago

I just took a book back to the library without finishing it. It wasn't BAD, it just didn't catch my attention enough to finish it.

It was a memoir of Jameson Parker (remember Simon and Simon?). He was shot in some type of assault and ended up with PTSD, I think. Anyway, he basically moved to a ranch and became a cowboy. The book is mostly (at least as far as I read) about his experience becoming a cowboy. The book is called, "The Accidental Cowboy."

Thanks to my Kindle, MP3 player/audiobooks and a paperback (loaned to me by a friend) sitting on my bedside table, I have too many stories going on. A book has to catch my attention :)

Most times I trudge my way through. This one was due back, so I just took it back!

Lisa

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    11 years ago

The books I have a hard time finishing aren't because they're poorly written. It's usally because I feel like they can see right through me! too hard. I'd rather read those, I can't put it down books! but then I don't feel as though I learned anything, which I really like to do. It's a toss up as to which I am feeling at the time. Fluff can be fun!

• west_gardener
    11 years ago

I find that the older I get the fewer books I read. I know that about myself so I don't buy many books any longer.
    If I get interested in a book, I go to the library.
    I was very interested in the Patricia Cornwell series of the Scarpetta character.
    Although I found the character interesting and liked the way the book was written, I did not finish.
    This has more to do with the fact that I don't read books, than how the book was written.

• Lisa_H OK
    11 years ago

West Gardener: I loved the series, but I haven't read the last few books....she just got too gruesome, too dark.

I love the library for that too! It is a great way to check out an author. Actually, I just LOVE the library! That is the best tax I pay!

Lisa

• lilosophie
    11 years ago

The nearest library is 22 miles away and has reduced hours (Budget problems), as I don't drive any longer, this is not an option for me. We used to have the book-mobile once a week, one could order books on the I-net and they deliver them and pick them up, but Bookmobile got axed also.
    I subscribe to the Quality Paperback book-club and buy a fair amount, pass them on to other readers and get some given to me, it works, but I sure miss the book-mobile!

• Lisa_H OK
    11 years ago

Lilosophie: Have you tried an electronic reader? My library allows me to "check out" books on my kindle. I thought all libraries had that service, but I have friends in rural areas that do not, so it is possible your library doesn't. I love being able to log on and check out a book at midnight if I want to!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my kindle. Amazon also gives away free Kindle books. I know you are on FB, there are a couple pages on there that will send out notices about particular books that Amazon has for free that day. However, they list them on their site, so you can certainly just check them there.

• anneliese_32
    11 years ago

Yes, I sometimes do not finish books. As a readaholic and speedreader I depend on the library and if I don't like a book I don't have to read it out of guilt that I bought something I don't want to read. Our library allows me to check out books on my nook, a lifesaver this week. Was Monday and Tuesday at the cancer clinic as volunteer and was called out of it on Tuesday afternoon by the Red Cross to help set up an emergency shelter at a city facility for the families evacuated by a chemical spill and fire. So I sat the last three days with my e-reader in the shelter, had really nothing to do, just be there and got books from the library even in the middle of the night.

• west_gardener
    11 years ago

lilo, I remember the Bookmobile and I'm also sorry to see it go. I remember the children standing in line, waiting to exchange their books.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES
More Discussions