Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
We like eggplant but this is ridiculous

Posted by gandle 4 NE (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 18, 10 at 12:39

When we cleaned the garden there were 8 nice eggplants that we harvested. We have been using them all season but this may be a few too many. All we could manage to give away were 3, so yesterday we had eggplant with garlic sauce. Tomorrow will be baked stuffed eggplant. Later on in the week we will have lasagna using lengthwise slices of eggplant lightly roasted instead of the lasagna pasta. We have made a eggplant pickle that is eaten the same day and some of the smaller ones we didn't even count are used in stir frys, but, we are running out of ideas and are getting a bit tired of repeating the above dishes.

Just plain fried eggplant is to me just edible but I really would rather have it some other way.

Any advice for an exitingly different way to use these purple vegetables?

Guess botanically they would really be a fruit but don't believe they would be too good in a fruit cup.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: We like eggplant but this is ridiculous

I'm not a fan of eggplants; the only way I will willingly eat them is when they are thinly sliced, dipped in a cornmeal-based batter and lightly sauteed in very garlicky butter-oil. Dip in cocktail sauce and I can ignore the eggplant part. BTW, once cooked these can be frozen. DH likes them batter-fried and served over linguine with a lot of marinara sauce over all.

o

I made a batch of spagetti sauce once with a lot of eggplant cut up in the usual tomato/and other stuff. It was very good.

o

• Posted by pamven z5neastindiana (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 18, 10 at 13:30

Google Nigilla Lawsons recp for badejan dip...its a good way to use up eggplant. That said, i have a shelf in the freezer full of 2 serving portions of eggplant lasagna that will sure taste good this winter.

o

• Posted by tibs 5/6 OH (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 18, 10 at 15:10

I like eggplant. DH is not that fond of it. One day they had an unannounced special on eggplant at the grocery. I found an easy (and turned out very tasty) recipe for baked egpplant parmigian, no frying. I made it, served it up and it looked as pretty as a picture. DH looked down at his plate, looked up at me with the saddest expression and said in the sorriest sounding voice: "In 29 years of marriage have I ever asked for eggplant?" AFter I quit laughing, I told him to eat it anyways. I had fixed some Italian sausage for him to try to make up for the unloved eggplant.

o

baba ganoush with pita......yum!

o

I love eggplant and have been bemoaning that I didn't get enough of it this year. I use eggplant in spaghetti sauce like Puffy does, but I also love it in chili. There is always the standard ratatouille. Eggplant, green peppers, onion, tomatoes, mushrooms and basil in whatever proportions you think you'd like them. Basically a vegetable stew.

o

I don't like eggplant at all but Coke,you make it sound so good. If you are ever in Bucks County,you and Chrissy are more than welcome to stop by but you have to bring me something to eat. LOL Is there anything you can't make into a delicious meal?

o

I am not allowed to bring it in the house here.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here