Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
We don't eat them - we name them

Posted by lilosophie none (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 16, 11 at 12:40

One can't murder and eat friends, friends have names.
The old residents are Red, the rooster
And the remaining Golden Girls: Blanche and Dorothy
Rose passed away
Last night Joann and I named the rest of the flock
Bantam couple, showy and theatrical
Fred (Astaire) and Ginger (Rogers)
The Wyandottes (we say Why-nots)
Showy White one with brown tick-marks
Dolly (Parton)
Conservative brown one with white tick-marks
Minnie Pearl
Their companion rooster of Americauna ancestry
Johnny (Cash)
We do get attacks of terminal whimsy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: We don't eat them - we name them

Right you are. When we had our small farm, everybody had names and were pets. The chickens died of old age, the cows went, after we stopped farming, to a relative, the 2 piglets(sows) we bought each year from a breeder went back to him for breeding purposes, we got 2 unknown pigs, already slaughtered in return.
Love all the names, my steady backyard visitors have names too, even the possum (Mathilda).

o

Mum was always naming stuff, whether or not animate. I remember one hog, grossly misnamed "Sweetie" who had the sourest disposition. When he came of size he was traded to a neighbor for X amount of butchered pork products. I have my suspicions that those products had originally been fed at our trough, but since there was sufficient doubt, even mum was willing to eat the bacon, chops, and ham. Our appetites were probably improved by the fact that everyone was glad to see Sweetie's nastiness leave our place.

o

That's so sweet that you name them and don't eat them. If I had poultry I'm pretty sure I'd do the same.

o

At one time, my grandmother raised ducks for market. I managed to find one in the bunch that wanted to be MY pet. It was fun for a small child to have such a pet.

However, time came for the trip to market. I was young, but smart enough to know that I could hold out for a good price. Mother most likely paid me for that one duck more than Grandma got for the whole flock.

o

I wish I could say I do the same thing, and I have named a few special ones and that means I have commuted their sentence. I haven't butchered any in the coop now for several years but mainly because I am not a good executioner and won't do it inhumanely, so I have been feeding them and watching them go geriatric instead. If and when I can get one of the boys off the farm long enough to do the deed I will. In return, I give the chickens a good life, access to the outside, humane treatment, and good food. That's more than I can say for a supermarket fryer. The roos are exempt, but there are only a few of them and once they go past a few months aren't fit to eat anyway. I asked my little g'son years ago if he'd given any of the new heiffers names. He pointed them out and rattled off the numbers in their ear tags. It's best to leave it like that. Unless I go back to being a vegetarian, it's just the way it is.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here