Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Biblical weather in Brooklyn

Posted by mrobbins 6b - Brooklyn (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 13, 10 at 12:46

Last month, tornadoes. This week, a torrential rainstorm that ended with an hour of hail up to fist-size. I left the house Monday thinking I really should have cleaned up my stoop pit garden which was sort of overgrown, although I did love the enthusiasm of the red caladiums enjoying the lower light this late in the season, the Black Dragon coleus with its blue flower spikes, and the tender euphorbia "Diamond Frost" floating an airy carpet of its small white blooms above the green foliage.

Tuesday morning we dared go outside again and the air was sweet with the smell of chlorophyll. All the sidewalks and cars were carpeted with green leaves torn down from the trees by the storm. My garden was just stalks. I wonder if I can rescue the caladium bulbs at this point?

The weather has been so freakishly violent for this part of the world that I have to wonder what's next...plague of locusts? Perhaps I should only plant low annuals next year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hail and Heavy Rain Batter Parts of New York City Region

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Biblical weather in Brooklyn

I spent the day with my friend who lives part time in Brooklyn and she told me that her son in law's banana plants were all in shreds from the freaky hail,and also that there was a lot of damage at the Brooklyn Botanic Gardens. It must have been pretty fierce.

o

It seems like unusual weather for Brooklyn,but I'm not sure it's Biblical. Weather is weather, and when it comes to planting, keep on planting.

We're having a record heat wave here in CA. I'm in the process of planting cool weather veggies and flowers, but they are having a really tough time in this heat,they are wilting and showing real stress. But I keep watering and shading them and once the weather changes, they'll be OK.

o

It is crazy weather for NYC. Since it is fall, your caladium bulbs should be ok, as long as they have not cuts and bruises.
Somebody send us some rain. Despite of 30 minutes rain yesterday evening, the cracks in the ground get wider and deeper and we were told this morning that this might last into December. The raingauge needs dusting every week.

o

anneliese, you had 30 minutes of rain.

You lucky person,we've not had any rain since somewhere around May

Yes, send some Rain

o

• Posted by lilod NoCal/8 (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 16, 10 at 9:49

West Gardener - I usually do a rain-dance this time of the year, hard to do on a walker, wonder if it will ever rain?
I hate the weather readers on TV, burbling about
gorgeous weather for your weekend" I say Pffft!

o

lilod, what do mean, you can't do a rain dance in your walker? Lol, the origional rain dancers never heard of a walker. It's in the mind and body. Tap a foot to the beat. Hmm, does a rain dance have a beat? I do rain dances on my concrete patio, to my own beat.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rain Dance

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here