Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilosophie

How high is the water?

lilosophie
11 years ago

A picture of the pond as it is in winter, spring and early summer, paddling the boat around next one is recent

Comments (10)

• lilosophie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The current puddle - no boating -

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    11 years ago

So for scale, the top one, the grasses (which are in the foreground on the bottom one) are under water?! If so, that looks to be quite a bit different. How many feet? Or am I completely offbase?

• lilosophie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

If you mean the reeds in the bottom one, yes, they are almost totally submerged - the brown weeds sticking out of the water
    are their tops (they brown out in winter). I am not sure how many feed depth.
    When full - top picture - the water covers a bit more than an acre, when a puddle, perhaps city lot, and shallow.

• mawheel
    11 years ago

Lilo, what amount of precipation will be needed to bring the pond back to its usual size/depth? Looks as if it might take quite a bit. Is that your house at the top of the hill? If so, you have a nice amount of privacy.

• west_gardener
    11 years ago

I have same question as mwheel.Another question is, where do you get water for your house use and where do you get water for your animals?

• gabriell_gw
    11 years ago

Lilo, would you give an update on your daughter. I have thought of her so often.

• lilosophie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Good morning
    To bring the pond up to top level, it takes enough rain to get the seasonal creek running, it feeds the pond. I look to three or four storms in a weeks time, about 4" total rainfall to get it going. The creek feeds the pond until it dries up in late May, if we are lucky in June, if it's a dry year as early as April, then evaporation sets in and the pond shrinks little by little, it's also spring-fed, so it doesn't dry all the way up.
    For house-water and garden/animals we have a well, pretty reliable, although now we need to be careful not to run too much water at once.

• west_gardener
    11 years ago

Thanks for explaining, lilo. I live with city water, turn the tap on and the water flows. I have no experience with alternate water sources.
    I'm really curious about "well water". How does that work?

• Janis_G
    11 years ago

Lilo, when I saw the title all I could think of
    was that Johnny Cash song. "How High's the Water, Mama?"

I miss the lake and my boats. I miss the wildlife most of all.

• anneliese_32
    11 years ago

Would love to have the lake, high and low water. I miss water. Here on our high plateau running water is scarce, the ponds mostly privately owned by farmers and the couple of lakes too far for a daily stroll.
    Like gabriell, I too wonder how Joann is doing. Hope she healed without complications.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH
More Discussions