Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fall colors

Posted by lilosophie none (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 22, 13 at 13:09

I know this area can't compete with others, we have too many conifers, evergreens where other places have so many hardwoods, but we like our fall-colors anyway.
This little tree is an "orphan", a volunteer pear tree growing in the no-man's land between our and the adjoining property, it's a 60ft. easement for the power company. It has grown quite large now and treats us with blooms in spring and pretty golden leaves in fall.
We are quite fond of it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fall colors

Pretty.
My neighbor saw a volunteer seedling in her yard and figured out that it was a baby tree. She nursed it for years, and when a huge tree in her front yard had to be removed, she planted her baby. It is now a beautiful 7' tree. It is still her baby.

o

What a pretty pear tree. Around here I have not seen such a pretty yellow pear tree, all the others are just starting to turn, we never have the bright colors of the northern states, oaks, our main trees, are not that colorful.

o

I don't know if it ever has any fruit, has never been grafted. But then my two pear trees are pear-less most of the time, it always gets cold and raining when the bloom and the pollinators are staying home.

o

That's a great little tree... and I was just about to ask about the pears- until I saw your note.

o

• Posted by mwheel East. WV-Z.6 (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 23, 13 at 7:55

The pear tree provides a lovely note of color amidst the evergreens and since it's in the easement has room to grow. Mother Nature always wants things to grow, whether there's room or not.

We have proof of that in our small back yard. About ten years ago, we dug up a less than 1' tall pine tree from our son-in-law's woods in So. MD and transplanted it to WV. Now, it's at least 30' tall, sheds pine needles over EVERYTHING, and is not a pretty tree--crooked trunk, scraggily branches, and the above mentioned pine needles, but the birds love it, and it would be a big job to remove it, so it's safe for a while longer.

I keep trying to remember that when first planted, trees, bushes, shrubs, etc., may be small, but they don't stay that way!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here