Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gandle

Indian Summer

gandle
13 years ago

I have no idea of the etymology of indian summer but I think we are experiencing it. We have had a frost and the leaves are falling but don't seem to be in any hurry to hit the ground. Warm days and cool nights, blue sunny skies and rain about every 10 days. How can weather be much nicer than that?

Gardens are cleaned up for the year, lawn mowed, hopefully for the last time of the season. Time to put Sta-bil in the gas tanks of all the gas powered equipment.

Have the 4 cords of wood ordered but they aren't here yet, really haven't really needed it. Furnace just runs a couple of times a night.

Butternut and buttercup squash are in the root cellar along with turnips and onions, brussel sprouts are still in the garden but I'm not very proud of them this year. Spinach is looking good but we won't use it til next spring. Parsnips and salsify can stay in the ground all winter and be better for having done so.

All in all, I'm very pleased with this "Indian Summer" so I think I'll take a pulled pork sandwich out to the patio and enjoy the sunshine. Probably have to share a bit with the cat though.

Comments (12)

• endorphinjunkie
    13 years ago

It's a nigh near perfect day here in North Alabama. A Goldie Locks kind of day, not too hot, not too cold. Sunshine and no humidity, well what passes for no humidity in these parts. We're in the beginnings of fall color.

Ran in a 5K this morning. Nice cool temperatures and did I mention no humidity? Had the best time of the year in this race. It's nice to see improvement, and have reassurance that the bp meds do not adversely athletic performance. Glad I don't have to be on beta blockers. Seriously thinking about taking the kayak out for a sunset cruise.

It's a glorious day to be alive, amd be active.

Indian Summer. What a perfect phrase, what a perfect description of halcyon day. PC be damned.

• west_gardener
    13 years ago

We've had an Indian Summer for the past week. The temps up in the nineties, close a hundred a couple of days. We are fortunate that we don't have high humidity at any time of the year.
    It's getting back to "normal" or what we hope is normal this week, a fog bank is rolling in and cooling everything down.
    My perfect temps, 51 low,73 high, 50 humidity. And the barometer moving towards rain.

• west_gardener
    13 years ago

gandle, I had no idea of the "etymology of indian summer" either, so I looked it up. See link below. It sounds complicated to me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Indian Summer

• west_gardener
    13 years ago

Our Indian Summer is over. I hope, but who knows these days. My new favorite day is today, low 58, high 68, light rain. Lol,I planted my cool weather plants, kept them alive during the heat wave and I'm looking forward to a somewhat "normal" fall.

• tibs
    13 years ago

We have been having lovely weather as well. low humidty, in the low 70's during the day, 50's at night. We have had a light frost in some areas last Monday. I picked the last of the green beens today and pulled the plants. I had pulled the tomatos and peppers several weeks ago, they had already pooped out.

• west_gardener
    13 years ago

I'm so glad to see that some of us are having a good weather experience,and that we are posting about it here at GW. At this point in time at our house, ouside temp is 60, wind 0, humidity 64, barometer says "no change". I'm a very happy camper.

• west_gardener
    13 years ago

Dorf, You talking about the goldielocks below?

Here is a link that might be useful: Indian Summer

• endorphinjunkie
    13 years ago

Never heard of that particular version.

P.S.
    Dorph is not my name.

• west_gardener
    13 years ago

endorphinjunkie, sorry if I got your name wrong. It was not intentional. My bad.

• endorphinjunkie
    13 years ago

Not a problem, it just that I have never referred to myself by that name. EndorphinJunkie is my user name. I have, in the past, referred to myself as Angus Gonzalez, Brad Hackerman, and implied that I might be the Mad Hatter. Those days are gone, and don't seem like they are coming back. In a pinch, one can call me Michael.

By the way, what would you like us to call you? West Gardener seems so formal.

• west_gardener
    13 years ago

Hi endorphinjunkie, Michael, glad there is no "problema". Just call me Betty.

• anneliese_32
    13 years ago

Our summer has not left yet. Yes, the nights are cooler, but still warm during the day and no rain in sight. I long for a rainy, foggy, cold day, the furnace running, dark enough to have a light on. I am tired of having to water the hydrangeas, the other younger shrubs and the front dogwood every day, as well as the salvias which still bloom and get visited by the few wild bees and bumble bees. Gripe. gripe!