Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Remember the "baby turkeys"?

Posted by lilosophie none (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 13, 12 at 13:30

All grown up now,
still coming to the feed-shed, they know the oat-hay had lots of grains buried, and they scratch vigorously. If they would get upset, they could do some real damage to a person or a pet.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Remember the "baby turkeys"?

Have they grown! No wonder, Cafe Casa Lilo is open and has a great menue.

o

• Posted by mwheel East. WV-Z.6 (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 13, 12 at 16:16

Wow! Those are some big birds! Would they be "game" for anyone's Thanksgiving Dinner? I would hate to think so, but then, I eat domesticated turkey, so I better shut up. :>)

o

Are these the ones who "came for dinner" last year??

o

That's the group earlier this summer, about half-grown.

o

I guess that's what the natives ate and introduced to the pilgrims. Not much meat on those bones.I wonder whose job it was to pluck those birds? I'm not up on my turkey history.

o

The wild turkeys are not native Californians, according to the article in the link, they have been introduces fairly recently, though apparently in the /east they were natives when the Pilgrims showed up

Here is a link that might be useful: Wild turkey history

o

After reading the history of the turkey, I can see why the "teaching" farm here in Silicon Valley introduced or reintroduced the wild turkey. It's one part of CA history.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here