Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilosophie

Hard Rain this morning

lilosophie
9 years ago

The little orphan pear tree in no-mans' land (an easement between properties) is all decked out for Halloween, the puddle has morphed into a bigger puddle, hope it's a pond by Thanksgiving.
October has giving us more rain all the than time since last October, hope it keeps up.

Comments (9)

• anneliese_32
    9 years ago

Glad that you got some more rain. Raining here too, cold rain and strong wind. While I pushed my shopping cart across a large parking lot, I wished I had some gloves. Don't know if we get many trick or treaters, we are even promised some snowflakes mixed with the rain. Had light frost yesterday morning.

• west_gardener
    9 years ago

Nice photo.
    We also got some good rain today. I don't see any puddles or run off yet.

• mawheel
    9 years ago

Today, we had our grass cut for what we hope is the last time for 2014--and the grass is greener and lusher than it's been all Summer. We've gotten more rain in October than in July, August, and September .

Lilo, hope your rains keep coming.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    9 years ago

Only a bit of rain last night. Total for the month is a bit under 4.25". Wind, Wind, Wind today. Gusting up to 40, should get down to 28 tonight and 25 tomorrow night. Needless to say, the furnace has been working today.

• west_gardener
    9 years ago

We had more welcome rain last night and this morning. Went to a local shopping center and part of the parking lot was nearly flooded. If it is not one thing, it's another.

• anneliese_32
    9 years ago

Jim, did you push the wind down to us? I was supposed to cut down some overgrown forsythia branches and had to give up, getting whipped in the face by those long, slender twigs and that at a 23 degr. windchill let me rethink my chores. Tonight we might get the first hard freeze.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    9 years ago

Pruning forsythia this time of year? Sacrilege!

I spend many hours taking cuttings and working with them to create more. This year, same as last year, I ended up with 6 good starts. I don't keep them here, I plant them where others will see and enjoy them.

OK, they are overgrown, I understand. It is just my way...I don't eliminate, I propagate.

Jim

• west_gardener
    9 years ago

Oh my gosh, anneliese in that kind of weather, I'd rethink my chores also.
    "that at a 23 degr. windchill let me rethink my chores. Tonight we might get the first hard freeze."

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    9 years ago

We had two nights in a row of temperatures well below freezing. Just to be sure, I covered my brussels sprouts with clear plastic. It took a bit to get it to happen due to winds in excess of 25 mph. The sun was shining yesterday and this morning, so it acted a bit like a warming center. They are still looking good. I pulled the last of the beans on Thursday morning.

Today, I pulled a couple dozen marigolds and many annuals that got more than nipped. I cut back the cannas because they looked horrible. After the next rain, I'll dig up the bulbs.

The wind during the past three days took care of most of the leaves on trees in my yard, They're raked into piles in the corners, waiting to be spread on the flower beds.

Jim

Sponsored
More Discussions