Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meldy_nva

Crosswalk

meldy_nva
12 years ago

On my way to the store, I drive along a 4-lane avenue that has a very wide meridian, 20-storey apartment buildings on either side. Midblock there is a driveway exit from one group of buildings, bus stops on both sides of the avenue, and a crosswalk neatly painted from one side to the other side of the street. What makes this crosswalk notable is the very large curbside sign painted with the usual "caution - pedestrians" warning; but with a light bar on top (and a solar battery charger over that). Last week I happened to be driving when there was a man crossing the street. The sign was lit up with a bright pedestrian-shape walking, red lights on top flashing, and "STOP" flashing at the bottom of the sign. Attention-getting! The man reached the other side of the street, the sign turned off its warning lights and "stop" changed to "thank you".

I have never seen anything similar elsewhere.

Comments (9)

• anneliese_32
    12 years ago

We could use one of those here. We have buttons to press if wanting to go across a 4 lane highway. Ok, it stops the traffic - for 25 seconds. I think besides as couple of teenagers I am the only adult who is able to cross there and I run, at least I have never seen anybody else there and ususally take my chance on the open highway, it's safer.

• gandle
    12 years ago

That would be one thing we would never have to worry about, we could cross any street at any point we chose at any time of the day or night. I have never heard of a pedestrian car accident in the 40+ years we have lived here.

Guess that also tells you how exciting it is in these parts.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    12 years ago

See the below article. See the guy in the crosswalk in the picture? See the cars whizzing past anyhow? Hope it was photoshopped!

I do however, have much chagrin for those pedestrians who think that cars should stop for them, while they step out into traffic! not in a crosswalk! and not when it's their turn!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: yes, as a matter of fact we do...

• west_gardener
    12 years ago

I thought we had smart crosswalks here in the valley, but the one you describe is smarter than ours, and the "Thank You" is such a nice touch.

• west_gardener
    12 years ago

meldy, it seems that VA is on the forefront of experimenting with "smart roads".

Here is a link that might be useful: VA smart roads

• anneliese_32
    12 years ago

Robin, I don't step out in the front of cars, that's why I seldom use the 4 street crosswalk, people who take a right hand turn there on red in the turn lane, gun the car because it goes uphill. I am short and if there is a SUV or truck on the straight lanes, nobody sees me coming. 200 yards down the highway I have in view two traffic lights. When one goes red and the last car has gone by, I have about 40 seconds to make it to the wide grassy curb- enclosed median. If the traffic on the other lane has not stopped, I just wait until the light goes red on that side and I have plenty of time to cross the other 2 lanes.
    I am not suicidal nor do I expect that a car stops for me, but I know what you mean, especially since I had to drive to work at night.

• lilosophie
    12 years ago

My town is bisected by Highway 101, a major highway. There are three cross-walks, well marked, there are no traffic lights, two side-streets into neighborhoods, one road going to the Coast - Speed Limit in town is 35 mph.
    Through travelers, I am sure, hate it.

• meldy_nva
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I don't think this sign is part of the VA public highway system, although it's placed close to curbside so I think it would come under their aegis. The same company owns the buildings on either side; I suspect a private installation. Actually, if it IS a private sign on public land, I hope VDOT ignores it ~ my understanding is that such an installation wouldn't be allowed, no matter how practical or efficient.

• west_gardener
    12 years ago

It is interesting to find out about quasi public/private roads. For the past 30 years or so, "we" a group of people have been supporting building a path from the Bay to the Ocean.
    DH and I have been doing our part by doing 5K walks, buying certificates for the first wild flower plantings. There are people that have worked a lot harder than us to make this happen.
    Come Google, they already have a huge campus in our city, but they bought more land on the other side of the "public path" and want to expand their campus, but they want to build a "private" path , connecting to the public path, just for Google.
    I'm not sure about the details, or how it will work out, but it is a gripe here in the valley.

Sponsored
More Discussions