Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do you know?

Posted by purpleinopp 8b AL (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 3, 11 at 14:20

If you "know" something but can't "recall" it, do you really know it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do you know?

• Posted by mwheel East. WV-Z.6 (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 3, 11 at 14:33

Good Heavens! I hope so! I am always forgetting something that I know I know, but my brain won't process it at that moment. However, if I let *it* go, usually it's only a few minutes before the word or whatever it is, pops into my mind.

DH has a technique which works for him--most of the time: he'll go thru the alphabet in his head and when he gets to the right letter, the name will come to him. Of course, we're both at the age where that scenario of not remembering happens more and more frequently. :>( Still, it's gratifying to "know that you know", even if you can't remember it at the exact moment.

o

I think so, sort of like having a book that won't open to the right page. The info's there, it just isn't available at the moment.

Unfortunately, some times it's taking me longer and longer to get to the right page. A while back, I saw a guy while in the hardware store; he came up to me and greeted me [by name] and was just chatting away a high speed. I'm thinking "I know this guy, what is his name, where do I know him from, golly his voice is familiar..." etc., all the while smiling back at him and trying to look like I remembered him. A full week later the right page flipped up to my memory: twenty years ago he was my boss's boss for eighteen months. I had never seen him before that period, never saw him after he transferred to another office, and hadn't seen much of him even while we were in the same building. Even though that memory-page took some days to come forward, I'm glad it did; he was a nice guy then and time hasn't changed him. Now I can tell some mutual friends, 'hey, the other day I saw [boss] and he's doing just fine.'

o

Oh yes, if I have downloaded something to my brain at some point, it's in there. Sometimes I may have a slow connection and I may have to wait for the answer or go to the an alternate search method, such as using the alphabet,yes mwheel, I also use that method at times.

o

Interesting replies, thanks. I read once that if you look up and to the (right or left? can't remember right now) it can help job your memory. Have you tried this or heard of it? When I can remember to do it, it does usually help me.

o

The answer usually shows up if I think about something which has nothing whatsoever to do with the wanted subject.

o

anneliese, doncha mean late at night is when you suddenly remember what you "knew", e.g. 3AM? You know, when you're supposed to be asleep?!

Actually, in mock trial contests, I learned that looking at the floor can buy you time and make you look pensive--if you've forgotten something. Moreover, it works just as well as up and to the right. Up and to the right can look like you're lying (sort of shify-eyed).

It's why Judge Judy makes them look right at her when participants are testifying. "Um is not an answer!" Ha. I like her.

:)

o

It get's more interesting when one has to deal with several different languages. I speak three languages plus a smattering of others. Sometimes my brain serves up a word in the "wrong" language and I have to tell my brain to fetch the word in another language.
This happens more often as I get older or if I am tired.

We were at a business meeting one day, and as I was explaining something, I had to pause for a split second because my brain served up a Swedish word instead of an English word. After I got the correct word and finished my statement, one fellow asked why I had hesitated at some point. I explained what had happened. He asked if I had done all that searching in real time while I was talking, and I said yes.

He was very impressed. It turns out that he is working on a search engine that can translate a page in nano seconds and eventually instantly.

o

I've often wondered why our brains seem to choose what
they WANT to keep and what gets discarded.
Occasionally my children tell me something I did that I have
no memory of and I wonder why it didn't stick around somewhere
in my brain.

Maybe it's because I'm getting older and just can't recall
EVERY LITTLE THING.

o

Good news, West: the cognitive benefits of your multilingualism far outweigh any temporary inconveniences!

To answer the original question, if I know something, but can't recall it, BUT know where I "put" it (or where I can access it readily), then I believe I still "know" it. Comprehension is more important to me than memorization when it comes to "knowledge."

o

Jaz? The thing west brought up happens to me. Does it to you? I only ask you (others can fee free to answer), because I know you also know languages other than English. Tired is when it pops up for me. Also, if I am interacting in a non-English language for long periods, I have to make a concerted effort to "stop" translating. Probably because English is my family language.

Jan, tell 'em your brain is too full :)

o

The alphabet thing works like a charm for me..almost always when it comes to proper nouns.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here