Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meldy_nva

Waiting for the wind...

meldy_nva
11 years ago

and rain, and power outages, and whatever else is coming with the first probable hurricane to hit this area in many years.

Last Wednesday, I decided the forecasters were likely right about the potential track, and even more likely right about widespread power outages. I rearranged the freezers to push all the packages into a compact mass and began to fill the 'empty' spaces with stage containers of water to become frozen insurance. Put the last few bags of water in this morning, they should be frozen solid by tonight. The big freezer is rated to maintain coolth for at least three days if stuffed full and not opened. Will poke a wired thermometer in tonight so we can keep an eye on the temp without opening the door. The small freezer doesn't have a rating, but past experience tells me that it, too, should be safe for at least three days (that's the longest period we have been without electricity since it was purchased). After the third day, I'll be doing a lot of cooking!

Went to the store yesterday for a gallon of milk, sugar, and bird seed. It was jammed, and folks gave my near-empty basket some Looks. I felt like telling them that when it comes to the pantry, I can easily go for 6 months without shopping. I have dried milk on the shelf and don't plan to stick my nose into a grocery until all Sandy's mess is well cleared up.

Anyway, all you folks from the Atlantic to the Great Lakes and northwards:

Take extra-thoughtful care of yourselves.

Comments (6)