Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
endorphinjunkie

Saturday Musin's

endorphinjunkie
11 years ago

It's an ever so pleasant sunny and cool October day. This time of year is absolutely the best weather possible for this weather be-knighted land. It's in the Goldie Locks zone: not too hot and not too cold. Just right in a way that make it a joy to be alive and above ground. Never mind about the chemo fogged mind. It's healing. Slowly and not as fast as I would like. That's life. Maybe my memory is no longer eidetic, but it is working once again, even if it's in spurts and fits. Time will tell. Huginn and Muninn. Thought and Memory. The old Norse knew. These are what defines us as human beings. Without either, we lose our identity. I still have the power to reason. Thought I had lost the ability to remember. Was bereft. The past year was tough, to say the least. No more, though, the ability to remember is slowly returning. Not as fast as I like, but I am impatient. Dealing with my 80 year old father's dementia and dealing with my flirtation of it has not been easy.

Have spent the morning at the State Park. There is a rendezvous of the Great Loopers. There are here for a week to enjoy the weather and the fall scenery. It' nice to be able to talk with people for Michigan, Virginia, Illinois, and other states that I've never been to, or haven't been to in a long time.

Came home an decided to cook. I've grilled a petite bacon wrapped filet mignon steak. Steak fries, hawaiian rice, and garlic rolls compliment the main course. Sipped a blackberry wine whilst cooking. Tea is the drink of choice with the meal.

It is good to still be above ground. I have the ability to reason and have a mostly restored memory. I will make do.

I now have a full understanding of the old Norse concept of Ragnarok as a metaphor for human life.

After a short nap I will head back to the marina. There is a casual party for the Loopers this evening.

Enjoy Life. It's worth the effort.

Comments (11)

• mawheel
    11 years ago

Dorph, I'm so happy for you! It gladdened my heart to read your post. Please keep on keepin' on.

• gabriell_gw
    11 years ago

I'm glad to see your post and hear your experience with chemo.I'd never heard it can affect memory.You seem so positive, that must be a big help in healing. Please continue to post,you relate such interesting things.

• west_gardener
    11 years ago

Hi Dorph, glad you feel well enough to get around and have some fun.

• lilosophie
    11 years ago

Hello Michael, so good to get your musings, you have been missed. I am happy that you are healing and recovering from Chemo Brain, I know a couple of people who have experience with this situation.
    Hang in there and keep in touch, hear?

• anneliese_32
    11 years ago

Michael, I too had problems with my memory, to the extent that I forgot that I had cateract surgery in my right eye a month after my last chemo. It came back though, including memories I just as soon forget, LOL. Glad that you feel better and that we hear from you, please stick around.
    Keep active, my walks definitely contributed to my fast recovery. Hope you had a nice weekend and that your weather keeps on behaving.

• west_gardener
    11 years ago

"I now have a full understanding of the old Norse concept of Ragnarok as a metaphor for human life."
    In my mind, there are no absolutes or full understanding of anything, except hard math perhaps.
    Keep searching.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    11 years ago

So good to see you! I am so glad to see you getting out and about, enjoying everyone and everything you're seeing and experiencing. Lovely.

Spent Saturday with a friend who was visiting from Port Charlotte, Florida. She hasn't been since this time last year. The leaves were blazing and the weather was effervescent. We went to the Molasses and Music festival. Held at the Ag center. It also is the place the Metro Police horses are corralled. It's a place to see all the animals, plants, quilts, honey, geology, and insects of the area. There was an Appaloosa Leopard Mule; LF said he looked like a dalmation. We met, petted, got slobbered on by, and sat on the oldest and the newest police horse, Peace Keeper and Edge, respectively. These Walking horses are always donated to the police force. Rode on a wagon pulled by a mule team led by a skinner. Found out what a skinner was. eek! LF tried bobbing for apples above ground. Strings are tied to a tree with a skewer and apple is attached. No hands! It ended with fried pies, peach, cherry, and apple. There must've been two or three roaring wood fires. It smelled like autumn and felt like camping.

Then we went to the zoo where the lorikeets whizzed past our heads, whooshing from one of the cage to the other. It was nice to see the lumbering giants after that. It was the first time in a long time that I came in cooler weather, so it was odd not to see them getting into their pool. Loads of walking, walking, and more walking. Much of it uphill. :) The conversation was great, the sights were wonderful, and the LF and I both collapsed on the couch at the end of a very long, physically tiring day. We didn't even eat dinner. We were on the couch in our jammies by 5:30PM. I thought I did well since I was just in the ER 3 1/2 weeks ago with my back. I did have to sit an awful lot all day long, but I made it!

Below is a link to the mounted Patrol's horse pictures. Peace Keeper is the freckled horse with the lightning bolt. He's huge. The tallest, oldest, and mentoring horse.

Here is a link that might be useful: Metro Police Mounted police-3rd pic down is Peace Keeper

• west_gardener
    11 years ago

Rob, your day sounds wonderful.

• Janis_G
    11 years ago

Michael, I can't tell you how it lifts my spirits to see you
    post. I hope you continue to heal and you are soon whole again.
    Hang in there.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    11 years ago

thanks west! It was. Finally had something I could contribute. I hoped it would give Michael something to enjoy on the days he was inside.

His post made me happy!

• meldy_nva
    11 years ago

So glad you are back with us, I've really missed your cogent comments.

This is indeed glorious grilling weather... so why am I here swearing at stiff fingers typing on the keyboard?! Since I can't smell it, the steak doesn't appeal, but porkchops slowly browned and swiped with a garlic-honey-soy sauce may be calling my hibachi.

Sponsored
Velero Deck Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structures
More Discussions