Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Heating System...and I can manage it!

Posted by lilod NoCal/8 (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 22, 10 at 16:34

This was a bit of a worry: can I manage the wood-stove? After buying the firewood, it definitely would have to be a problem paying for propane.
But where there is a will, there is a way. After DGS Trevor and his friend stacked the wood the biggest concern was taken care of.
I discovered I can bring wood into the house,using a sling. The only thing I need help with is emptying the ash-drawer, and Joann is doing that.
I am happy to have gentle, radiant heat rather than the forced air.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Heating system

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Heating System...and I can manage it!

Way to go lilod, congrats on figuring out your heating system. You're are doing a lot better than I'm doing while I'm depending on the energy companies to supply me with power, you're doing alternative energy.
I was not able to see your face book pics. But I sure like your message about how you figured out your heating system.

o

• Posted by mwheel East. WV-Z.6 (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 23, 10 at 14:06

That roaring fire looks wonderful! I bet it sounds good, too. Glad you are able to manage getting the wood inside.

o

We're getting ready for winter just like you, lilod. "They" say there is a rain storm coming in tomorrow,(it's a good thing) so we had all our trees trimmed today, just so we won't have to worry about tree limbs falling on the roof.
We were trying to think of all the things we have to cover before winter starts, and I think we are OK and it seems that you've got your stuff covered. Let it rain, let it rain, humming here.

o

Looks like our means of heating. I too can bring in wood in a sling. Lay the sling on the walker and load it. Wheel it to the house and do a balancing act when I carry it in. Leone says she will do it but I'm not going to sit still and watch her carry wood in. Won't be so easy when there is a lot of snow on the ground, doubt that walkers are made for deep snow.

Could always fall back on natural gas furnace but really prefer the steady warmth of wood heat.

o

• Posted by lilod NoCal/8 (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 25, 10 at 12:10

Yes George, nothing beats wood heat!
Amazing what walkers can do, even though they are not made for some of the things. I am lucky to have a long, covered deck and can get about a month/six weeks worth of wood stacked on it. there is a bench next to the wood-pile and I lay the sling on the bench, lay two pieces on the sling and off I go.
Grandson has promised to re-stack the deck once the supply gets low. But I should be off the walker when that happens Thursday I will see Dr. Bones again, I am sure the x-ray will be good. If not, I just got to cowboy up, I guess...

o

I wished I had a woodstove. I grew up with ceramic woodstoves, one had a bench around it and there was no better place when it was cold. Another one had a special small room behind it from where it was stoked. That sits now in a museeum. Even if the temperature is lower, just the sound of the fire makes it warmer.

o

• Posted by lilod NoCal/8 (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 26, 10 at 10:05

Anneliese, Kachelofen ware the best heating there can be. There is a man in the neighboring county who constructs Kachelofen on special order, the only problem is that today's flimsy houses need special foundation reenforcement in order to allow one to have such a thing, so it would be very expensive, his business is not so good.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here