Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilod_gw

My Heating System...and I can manage it!

lilod
13 years ago

This was a bit of a worry: can I manage the wood-stove? After buying the firewood, it definitely would have to be a problem paying for propane.

But where there is a will, there is a way. After DGS Trevor and his friend stacked the wood the biggest concern was taken care of.

I discovered I can bring wood into the house,using a sling. The only thing I need help with is emptying the ash-drawer, and Joann is doing that.

I am happy to have gentle, radiant heat rather than the forced air.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Heating system

Comments (7)

• west_gardener
    13 years ago

Way to go lilod, congrats on figuring out your heating system. You're are doing a lot better than I'm doing while I'm depending on the energy companies to supply me with power, you're doing alternative energy.
    I was not able to see your face book pics. But I sure like your message about how you figured out your heating system.

• mawheel
    13 years ago

That roaring fire looks wonderful! I bet it sounds good, too. Glad you are able to manage getting the wood inside.

• west_gardener
    13 years ago

We're getting ready for winter just like you, lilod. "They" say there is a rain storm coming in tomorrow,(it's a good thing) so we had all our trees trimmed today, just so we won't have to worry about tree limbs falling on the roof.
    We were trying to think of all the things we have to cover before winter starts, and I think we are OK and it seems that you've got your stuff covered. Let it rain, let it rain, humming here.

• gandle
    13 years ago

Looks like our means of heating. I too can bring in wood in a sling. Lay the sling on the walker and load it. Wheel it to the house and do a balancing act when I carry it in. Leone says she will do it but I'm not going to sit still and watch her carry wood in. Won't be so easy when there is a lot of snow on the ground, doubt that walkers are made for deep snow.

Could always fall back on natural gas furnace but really prefer the steady warmth of wood heat.

• lilod
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes George, nothing beats wood heat!
    Amazing what walkers can do, even though they are not made for some of the things. I am lucky to have a long, covered deck and can get about a month/six weeks worth of wood stacked on it. there is a bench next to the wood-pile and I lay the sling on the bench, lay two pieces on the sling and off I go.
    Grandson has promised to re-stack the deck once the supply gets low. But I should be off the walker when that happens Thursday I will see Dr. Bones again, I am sure the x-ray will be good. If not, I just got to cowboy up, I guess...

• anneliese_32
    13 years ago

I wished I had a woodstove. I grew up with ceramic woodstoves, one had a bench around it and there was no better place when it was cold. Another one had a special small room behind it from where it was stoked. That sits now in a museeum. Even if the temperature is lower, just the sound of the fire makes it warmer.

• lilod
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Anneliese, Kachelofen ware the best heating there can be. There is a man in the neighboring county who constructs Kachelofen on special order, the only problem is that today's flimsy houses need special foundation reenforcement in order to allow one to have such a thing, so it would be very expensive, his business is not so good.

Sponsored
More Discussions