Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My vision of a cactus garden.

Posted by west_gardener (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 4, 13 at 18:13

Some time ago I started to collect some cactus plants and I posted some photos.
They are very small and although I'm a total newbie, they seem to like my house and my care, because they are growing. Lol, I estimate they grow about 1" per year.
Below is a pic of a glorious cactus garden. I think the cactus garden is somewhere in Germany. I bet the plants are older than I'm.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My vision of a cactus garden.

Below is the original thread and pics.
I did remove the straw flowers from the plants, and yes there was glue residue on the plants and I very carefully removed that.
My neighbor gave me a new "baby" and I'm in the process of identifying the plant.
It is fun to try new things.
I hope this is not a double posting.

Here is a link that might be useful: What's happening?

o

• Posted by mwheel East. WV-Z.6 (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 5, 13 at 18:12

Wow! I never thought of a "cactus garden"; they are lovely.

o

Wow was also my reaction when I saw that photo. I had no idea how big and beautiful a cactus garden can be.
I have since found out that Stanford University (close to us) has a cactus garden that was started sometime in the 1800. We are planning a trip there.
I bet those plants will have a "wow" factor also.

o

Below is another photo of a cactus garden in Germany. Amazing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Another cactus garden in Germany.

o

When we were stationed in Frankfurt/Germany my oldest
son bought for 25 cents a little Old Man cactus, about 1" tall. In 1972 we moved back to the States and he, since he could not take it along, gave it to my mother. The last time I was at the family residence, now in possession of a niece, the cactus was 2 ft. tall, 40 years old . It never was pampered, lived outside from Spring to Fall and during the Winter in a cool hallway and half the time nobody stayed at the house.
Have fun with your cactus garden, what kinds do you have?

o

Love the picture of the cactus garden. Sad to say, I can kill a cactus (except for those prickly pears out in the pasture!!) in a short period of time. Be sure and take lots of shots of the Stanford University cactus garden.

o

DH and I went to local cactus show and sale last weekend.
The plants were awesome.
I talked to a lot of cactus growers and they were very helpful in sharing their knowledge.
I like people who share their knowledge and bring other people along.
I like people who grow cactus.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here