Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
west_gardener

Duct Tape, tips and tricks?

west_gardener
12 years ago

We,ve used Duct Tape for a myrad of uses. Everything from hemming pants to taping up pictures.

Here is my latest use of Duct Tape. I grew a bunch of mini pumpkins and gourds this year. The squirrels were eating and stealing the pumpkins right of the vine.

I wanted to put a a basket of pumpkins on my front porch, so I used Duct Tape to fasten everything down. I double taped the basket to the table, taped every pumkin to another pumpkin. Lol, the Fort Knox of of pumpkins.

How have you used Duct Tape?

Comments (17)

• oscarthecat
    12 years ago

Well we have found if we wrap our duck with duck tape he does not have to fly south for the winter. Steve in Stevens County.

• meldy_nva
    12 years ago

I use transparent Book Tape (the heavy professional type) where most folks use duct tape. Not just for mending books: protecting recipe cards, a skinny piece folded makes a great tab for the edge of driver's licence and other cards to make them easier to retrieve from the wallet slot, a temp hem, strips over cardboard make a sturdy bottom for tote bags, shelf labels, a square put over the screw's slot end stops drawer pulls from loosening, labels for the baskets in the freezer, a piece covers a colored dot on the thumb end of each key for ID (still looking good after 11 years), and lots more... DH shook his head at the strip wound around the end of a loose chair rung which was then tapped back into place (I think that was about 15 years ago) but it's still holding. And yes, one time I used a strip around a leaky pipe until it could get properly repaired.

• west_gardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The basket is still intact. Meldy, I sure wish I had some of the tape you mentioned. I sounds like it works as well as Duct Tape, but since it is transparent it would be a lot easier on the eyes, than battle ship gray. Sometimes I use clear Postal Tape, and that also works well. I wish I had thought of it before I used the Duct Tape.
    Steve, I know you're kidding.

• anneliese_32
    12 years ago

I taped the house together. We live over large cave system and once in a while something gives way underneath or the water level falls and affects houses. A few years ago the back corner of the house developed a crack during extremely dry weather. Before the company which repairs foundations could come, storms were heading our way and I taped the 1/2" crack on the first floor brick wall over with duct tape. The insulation stayed dry until pylons could be installed to lift up the corner.

Meldy, where do you get the clear tape? I have white, blue and red duct tape, but no clear.

• lilosophie
    12 years ago

My down vest developed a small tear and was molting, shedding feathers, a small piece of duct-tape mended the tear, it has stuck ever since I put it on. Wish I had cut it into a heart shape and made it cute.

• mjmercer
    12 years ago

Haven't had occasion to use duct tape myself. But I loved a billboard I saw several years ago for a beer company (yes, beer):

"How do you mend a broken heart? Duct tape."

Karen

• oscarthecat
    12 years ago

Good one Karen. Steve in Stevens County.

• west_gardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh yes, it seems like they are saying that beer is duct tape for the soul.
    Very interesting concept.

• oscarthecat
    12 years ago

Please do not use clear duck tape on your duck. He may get a terrible sunburn. Be sure and use the silver colored one. Thanks a heap. Steve in Stevens County

• meldy_nva
    12 years ago

There are several varieties of book tape, mostly reflecting differences in weight. I prefer the very heavy ones; link shows the last one I bought. Staples and similar office suppliers carry book tape, but I'm not sure which types are where. Pls note that most tapes are considered to be a 'permanent' application; I've found that most *are* permanent on paper products but can be removed from plastic; 50/50 whether or not paint comes off with the tape when used on painted surfaces ~ use at your own risk.

Steve ~ please stop tormenting that poor duck. The sunburn came from losing all those feathers while trying to remove the tape!

Here is a link that might be useful: book tape

• oscarthecat
    12 years ago

Hmm I wondered what was causing that. Steve in Stevens County.

• west_gardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Update: the basket with the pumpkins on our front porch is still intact. Thanks for the information and the link to the book tape,
    Ii seems like duct tape has gone "designer". Check out the link below and notice the names of the tapes. Positively alluring. Polka dots, red zebra............Lol, lilo, I have a nick in my down comforter, and the feathers are flying.I may have to do a "designer duct tape" fix.

Here is a link that might be useful: Colored Duct tape.

• posieh
    12 years ago

My Grandson's Boy Scouts made billfolds from duck tape for a fun project. He informed me that there is a book writen and showing such worthy projects. Think that tape was made just for me to save rake and hoe handles from being full of slivers!

• west_gardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

In these difficult economic times, duct tape may the be the answer to preserving/saving some of our well used "stuff".
    I have hoe/rake handles that are full of slivers and they give me splinters. I'm thinking Fluorescent Duct Tape.

• Janis_G
    12 years ago

I love the Funky Flamingo.

I used to try to call a repairman when anything broke
    down or quit working before Neil found out, because he was known to duct tape everything.

He either super glued it or duct taped it.

• west_gardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is a new use for duct tape. An uruly passenger was duct tapped to his airline seat.

Here is a link that might be useful: Man duct tape to his airline seat.

• oscarthecat
    11 years ago

I think a good use for duct tape