Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
We couldn't buy anything

Posted by gandle 4 NE (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 2, 10 at 20:56

Went to an auction this morning at Stockville NE. Population about 30, but it is the county seat of Frontier county about the only thing there besides decaying buildings is the courthouse which looks like it was built in the late 1800's.

There were 3 auctioneers calling this sale things this family had collected over the years and they musthave been compulsive collectors.

There were 12 Mr. Peanut jars full of marbles and one of the jars sold for $160 most though brought in the $30s and $40s.

Some glassware went for hundreds of dollars and othersthat looked about like it went for practically nothing.

There was a box of doorknobs of about every kind you could imaagine. I bid up to $15 but it went for $30. Bid on a couple of Sears catalogs dating from the 30's but they were wanted by people who wanted them worse than we.

Bid on an old rusty hay knife bid $10 but again someone wanted it worse than I.

Anyway the food was pretty good at the food stand run by the womens club. Pies were delicious and everything was obviuosly made in some local kitchen.. Imagine most of the women in the club were farm ladies located near this village.

We didn't stay to see the Harley-Davidson or the trucks sold. Therte was so much stuff that even the 3 auctioneers couldn't finish today and I'll bet all 3 are busy all day tomorrow.

It was an enjoyable drive through the canyon country and even though we didn't buy anything we had a good time.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: We couldn't buy anything

• Posted by lilod NoCal/8 (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 2, 10 at 23:44

I am glad to hear you had a good time, buying something later regretted often spoils the enjoyment :)

o

Would you believe it, I never have been to an auction! Just as well, I know I would have come home with things I really don't need. Would have liked the drive though.

o

I used to attend every week. Outfitted my first apartment mostly from low bids on good quality stuff. Now the closest auction house specializes in "antiques" with mostly correspondingly high prices.

Many years ago, when I was working in DC, I passed a large auction house every day on my way to/from the parking lot. Often I went in one door, meandered around the floor and out another door, just to see what was there. One day, I saw a set of dishes on the floor and simply fell in love with them. Place settings for 20, incomplete: a couple saucers and cups were missing. I estimated that they might go for as much as $200, simply because of the large number of settings. Because they were to be offered at a time that I had to be at work, I asked a friend to bid for me (with a monetary limit of $500 that was more than a month's salary - I really WANTED those dishes). After the bidding closed, she came to my office, laughing and shaking her head. Crossing my fingers, I asked how much they went for. That's when she told me the opening bid had been $1000 (yep, one thousand dollars). It turned out that they were some rare and rarely available pattern, and they were yellow, an uncommon color in porcelain.
The final bid was over $28,000.

My SIL collects marbles, if she had attended every one of those jars would have gone home with her. Once she showed me a couple marbles (honestly, nothing special to look at) and said they were each worth $50 or more.

o

Oh gads,those auctioners talk fast. They seem to have a certain cadence and I can't keep up with them. However, DH's grandfather understood the auction process and made a lot of money in that field.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here