Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
3r3o3b

dumb cat!

rob333 (zone 7b)
9 years ago

I admit it, I am completely bored!!! Thought I'd have a bit of fun and got as surprise. Played the below video and my big fluffer cat came running! Purring and rubbing the phone which was playing the video, she almost knocked it out of my hand. She doesn't rub on me, so this is a strong reaction for her. Playijng sounds of a robin or cardinal, nothing but twitchy ears.

May have found a cat whistle.

Here is a link that might be useful: botswain's whistle (pronounced bosun)

Comments (12)

• mawheel
    9 years ago

Rob, I want to click on the video--but not right now. I sure don't want to get my Maggie excited at this time of the night. It's almost ten o'clock--and I want her to sleep.

I'll try it tomorrow morning, when she wants to go outside and I don't want to. (I don't let her out to roam; I take her out for 30 minutes or so.)

The video sounds like fun!

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You'll have to let me know if your Mags is like my Mags. That'd be interesting! The video is unlikely to be fun for you as it is just different calls the Navy/Coast Guard use to tell the crew what to do in code (hard to hear voices over the ocean noises). Boring! He does do it well, but really, it's a bunch of whistling.

What's funny about the kitty is, she loves "all hands on deck" (at 2:40). I tried it again after she'd settled down, just to see if it was coincidence or it was the whistle, and sure enough, she perked up, purred, got up from her spot, and did it again! It's not even the "warbling" or "trilling" that she liked. I would've thought the more bird sounds made her happy. But alas, she'd rather come to attention and get all paws on deck.

• mawheel
    9 years ago

Gee, Rob, either my Maggie is tone deaf, or just isn't 'into' high-pitched calls. I listened to the entire video--I learned something, too--but Maggie never appeared. She wasn't asleep, but all curled up in 'her chair' in 'her bedroom'. However, her ears were on alert, so she knew something was going on. She just wasn't interested enough to come find out what it was!

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just now tried it again. It's all my cat. I'll play it, and if I am not holding it, she'll paw at it. Trying to pick it up? She loves it. Dumb cat!!!

• anneliese_32
    9 years ago

Midnight was totally uninterested and ambled out of the room.

• lilosophie
    9 years ago

None of mine showed interest, though Gussie dog pricked up her ears, she is whistle trained in a way - when I don't see her outside, I blow the whistle and she shows up.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

:)

Yep, my cat is totally dumb!

• mawheel
    9 years ago

No, Rob; she's not dumb. She's just interested in being ready, when she hears the "all hands (or 'paws', as you wrote) on deck whistle. Who knows, she might think there's food involved! :)

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

:) how'd ya know? She's a rescue, and when I first got her, she would hear the food bag shaking and come running full speed, skidding across the floor at every meal! I kept thinking, dang girl, haven't you eaten in forever? She trots on over now, but no more sliding.

Some of the fluff is fur, but some of it is, well, from food.

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    9 years ago

I was just passing through, saw this, and thought I want to play something fun for my cat. Oh no! I played it just for a moment and she shot like a rocket under the bed. I had to coax her to come out again, so it wasn't a good sound to my kitty at all.

What a pretty belly your kitty has, and the way she's stretched out like that shows she's very happy, relaxed, and comfortable with you.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Sandy! Glad to see you. Sorry for your kitty. oops!

Magpie is a rescue and it took her a good year to get somewhat comfortable with me. Another three years to get fully comfortable. Loads of coaxing! But now she trusts me so much, I was able to give her a bath without her trying to get out of the sink yesterday. She seems to know I will do nothing that hurts her, only helps. I relished the first time I saw that big white fluff. I didn't even know that much of her was white until she did that. What's your kitty's name?

• gabriell_gw
    9 years ago

I played it on my laptop. My cat, Pandora,sat up and looked me in the face. Stared at me the whole time it played. She must have thought I was making unusual sounds.

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area
More Discussions