Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
6 November 2010

Posted by endorphinjunkie z7bAlabama (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 6, 10 at 0:01

One summer night, out on a flat headland, all but surrounded by the waters of the bay, the horizons were remote and distant rims on the edge of space. Millions of stars blazed in darkness, and on the far shore a few lights burned in cottages. Otherwise there was no reminder of human life. My companion and I were alone with the stars: the misty river of the Milky Way flowing across the sky, the patterns of the constellations standing out bright and clear, a blazing planet low on the horizon. It occurred to me that if this were a sight that could be seen only once in a century, this little headland would be thronged with spectators. But it can be seen many scores of nights in any year, and so the lights burned in the cottages and the inhabitants probably gave not a thought to the beauty overhead; and because they could see it almost any night, perhaps they never will.

Rachel Carson

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 6 November 2010

Beautiful. Rachel Carson left us all too soon. Steve S.

o

Beautiful!! Thanks for sharing!

o

• Posted by lilod NoCal/8 (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 6, 10 at 11:40

This is beautiful! Living without light pollution I can see the night-sky at any clear night, this reminds me that so many times I look at it - but looking is not the same as seeing, need to remember that

o

Good week Michael, this one is especially nice.

o

Enjoyed this week of quotes.

o

• Posted by mwheel East. WV-Z.6 (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 6, 10 at 14:35

What a beautiful picture this conjures in my mind. There is too much light pollution in this area to ever see such beauty, but it must be breath-taking.

Thanks for the quotes, this week. They were all good.

o

It would be so nice to see no other lights for a couple of hours. The night-sky of my childhood has shrunk and keeps shrinking.
Thanks for all the great this week.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here