Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gloriam_gw

I lost another of my children

gloriam
12 years ago

My one and only son died in the hospital on Monday, he was 52. I lost a grandson in 2003 and a daughter in 2004. WHY is this happening to me?

Comments (24)

• lilosophie
    12 years ago

I have no answer, but I send condolences and love your way, Gloria - So sorry, (((hugs)))

• coconut_nj
    12 years ago

Gloria, I'm so very sorry! Wish I could help your pain, or that your question could be answered. Wishing you strength as you deal with this devastation. Take comfort where you can. Sometimes pets, with their unconditional love can help.

• lindie_mi
    12 years ago

Very sorry for your heartache, Gloria. Love and comfort.

• endorphinjunkie
    12 years ago

(((Gloria)))

• pamven
    12 years ago

I remember when you lost your daughter and how sad that was....now you have to go through this again. You have my deepest sympathies Gloria.

• batyabeth
    12 years ago

Oh, such grief. My sincerest condolences. I hope you have others to lean on. Batya

• User
    12 years ago

Gloria, much love your way. We lost a son and it is so upside down for children to go before us. Losing another would be unfathomable. Gandle and Leone would be the closest to understanding your grief as they have lost three. There is no comfort any can offer, only condolences and compassion.

This is the best I can offer...

"When we honestly ask ourselves which person in our lives mean the most to us, we often find that it is those who, instead of giving advice, solutions, or cures, have chosen rather to share our pain and touch our wounds with a warm and tender hand. The friend who can be silent with us in a moment of despair or confusion, who can stay with us in an hour of grief and bereavement, who can tolerate not knowing, not curing, not healing and face with us the reality of our powerlessness, that is a friend who cares."
    â Henri J.M. Nouwen, The Road to Daybreak: A Spiritual Journey

• User
    12 years ago

here is the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Henri J.M. Nouwen > Quotes

• mwoods
    12 years ago

What a hard thing this has to be for you and there are few words I can think of to say right now. You are a strong woman and that will be of help in the days to come.I remember your daughter and your grandson and have wondered from time to time how you were doing.Thank you for coming here and telling us about it. Hope you stop in for awhile.

• gandle
    12 years ago

We have no words Gloria. Only a great empathy because we lost 3 children too. There are no answers to you plea just know that many people are greiving along with you.

• west_gardener
    12 years ago

Oh my dear, what sad news. My thoughts are with you and I give you a hug.

• petaloid
    12 years ago

So sorry, Gloria. I can't imagine how you are feeling right now, but I know you can make it through this somehow.

My best wishes go out to you and your family.

• gloriam
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I thought today would be better since my 3 daughters and family's would be here but it turned out not that way. The food didn't taste good only the chocolate pies. Now I have such a headache again. I never did get over my daughter's death, I still miss her so much. I just don't want to loss anymore. His wife was having him cremated and keeping the ashes, no burial or service. My family never did things this way. Its just so hard.

• mawheel
    12 years ago

I am so sorry for your loss, Gloria. I hope the caring thoughts, prayers, and hugs offered here, will help in some small way.

(((Gloria)))

• Janis_G
    12 years ago

Gloria, I am so sorry.
    There are no words to soften the blow, answer your question or ease your pain.
    I am just so sorry that this has happened to you.

• gmatx zone 6
    12 years ago

Gloria, I also do not have the words or answers to lighten your pain, but please know that you are being thought of and our prayers go out to you and your loved ones.

• mjmercer
    12 years ago

Gloria, I remember when you shared with us the losses of your daughter and grandson. I wish you much love and eventual peace. In the meantime are their friends or a trusted church leader (minister, etc.) on whom you could lean? Remember, that's what they're for. And that's what we're for, too. Please feel free to "talk" more here, if it helps.

Karen

• shymilfromchi
    12 years ago

Dear Gloria,

I am new to this forum, but I want to join in sending you
    our condolences. I don't know your circumstances, but
    perhaps this is something that might help.

We have a close relative who lost her only son at 38 years
    old. Her DIL, like yours, made the arrangements that were
    not what Eve would have liked. So she origanized a memorial
    service and the word of it passed from person-to-person.
    Several hundred people came, some from quite a distance. It
    was not a religious service; one-by-one, if they wanted to,
    a person would stand and tell of their relationship with Mark
    and how his life and talents had effected their own. It was
    beautiful.

I spoke with her last night and she suggested that perhaps you
    might want to contact The Compassionate Friends National
    website. I don't know how to post the link, but its

compassionatefriends (all one word) followed by .org

They helped her until she felt strong enough to go on. She is now
    volunteering with the Give Life group who works to bring organ
    donation information to the public. All of the people in this
    group have been through the ordeal of losing someone very dear
    to them and they help each other cope.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    12 years ago

Gloria, I don't have words. I am sitting there with you in my thoughts. I'm beside you, and I will do whatever you want. Even if it is sit in silence. I cannot fathom it, but I feel for you.

-Robin

• Lisa_H OK
    12 years ago

I missed this earlier. I am so sorry, Gloria. My prayers are with you.

I think having a memorial service of your own would be a wonderful idea.

Lisa

• shilty
    12 years ago

Gloria, I am so sorry for your loss.

But I want to offer you a moment of reassurance.

The reason none of us ever have any say so in who leaves, who stays, is because there is no time in our whole life that we want to make those decisions. They must be made by God.

And God never gives us more to bear than we can. 300 or 400 years ago, you might have lost your son to a sinking ship, one of the many plagues for which we had no defense; a war, a highwayman, or even a common cold that turned into pneumonia, nothing you could have done then, either.

And..you have to trust me on this, they are never really gone. I am still finding things I'd like to tell my dad or my mom, or my husband...because all our lives together were
    so full, they are as much a part of me as my own teeth.

All are no longer in any danger, they have no pain, and I will see them again someday. For that I am thankful.

Many hugs. Just keep being the strong lady you are.
    s

• Mrobbins
    12 years ago

Oh Gloria, how awful. I am so sorry. A loss like this around a holiday?! The fates were pressing down too hard on you. I can't share your grief, but you can see from all the messages here that this community has its arms around you, and I wish you strength and love.

• yem1
    10 years ago

It is really sad and Just God knows all. We all have to move to him. Be patient and strong. This is all i can say and can pray for your beloved ones.

• GrannieAnnie_MO
    10 years ago

I feel your pain and know it must be very difficult. In my case I am able to focus on being angry. A drunk driver killed five of my relatives; the only survivor an infant who will never know his parents or grandparents. There are just no words to describe some things. I am so sorry for your loss.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville
More Discussions