Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janis_g

Is anyone awake ?

Janis_G
13 years ago

I'm sitting in a hospital room with DH.

He can't sleep even with meds but he seems to be back in the days when he was treating patients.

He thinks I am a patient so I am getting quizzed about my symptoms and meds. I have to say he is doing a great job.

There hasn't been any sleep for the past 5 days since he came out of surgery.

Comments (26)

• anneliese_32
    13 years ago

I am so sorry Janis, I would have kept you company. I shut down around two. Hope Ed feels better soon. Hospital nights are miserable at best. Sunflowers and good thoughts going to both of you.

• oscarthecat
    13 years ago

Good Morning, prayers and good thoughts. Steve S.

• mwoods
    13 years ago

Jan,I'm so sorry you both are going through this. Either you didn't tell us about the surgery or I missed it somehow. This has to be very hard for you..just wish I could help in some way. Please keep us up to date on things.

• lilod
    13 years ago

(((((Janis))))) so sorry to hear that! You have been through so much, and even more lately. Sunflowers galore coming your way. Much love!

• andie_rathbone
    13 years ago

I'm sorry to hear that your husband is having such a bad time. Hope you both get some well deserved rest very soon.

• gandle
    13 years ago

Iam sure that prayer helps in some way. Some we don't really understand but be assured that many are coming your way.

• coconut_nj
    13 years ago

Jan, I'm sorry that things have been and continue to be so rough. I am glad however that you're being such a good patient. Keep up the good work, I know it's hard, but it must be some comfort that he seems to feel good about what 'he's doing'. I hope you both can rest soon.

• jazmynsmom
    13 years ago

I'm so sorry to hear about his confusion and medical difficulties. The situation would almost be funny were it not so tragic. Are you in Atlanta, or were you able to stay local? This is one of the few times I wish I still lived there so I could come sit with you.

Keep your symptoms interesting for him. If he probes enough, he'll find the diagnosis for your condition to be "love," and the prescription to be keep on keeping on.

• mawheel
    13 years ago

Janis, sunflowers, healing thoughts, and heartfelt prayers are being sent to you and your DH.

(((((Hugs to both of you.)))))

• gabriell_gw
    13 years ago

I missed learning that husband has had surjury. I hope things are going well. I send you love and wishes for a good recovery. You take care of yourself.

• Janis_G
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for all your prayers and good thoughts and sunflowers. It means more to me than you will ever know.

Michelle, we are here in our local hospital.
    It is good to be among friends where Neil is known, loved and respected. We are being well taken care of.

I have come to the conclusion that nurses, like teachers, aren't paid enough or respected enough for all that they do.
    We should all strive to change that for them or make an effort to stick up for them when we have a chance.

Marda, I never said anything about surgery until now.
    I wish I could have helped you. I do think of you each and every day.

• User
    13 years ago

Good thoughts to you and Neil.

• west_gardener
    13 years ago

A hospital room can be one of the loneliness places in the world. Been there, done that. Glad you posted. Wish I could help. Sunflowers for you and DH.

• Janis_G
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We are still here. Maybe he can leave tomorrow.
    Neil has to go to rehab before I can take him home.
    After a week in the hospital he is pretty weak.
    He will bounce back soon I hope and we can get back home before Christmas.

• lilod
    13 years ago

Oh Jan, I am thinking of you and Neil. This is so hard, more sunflowers, healing vibes, prayers and big mojo going your way(((((((((((hugs)))))))))

• Janis_G
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Another sleepless night.
    It must be so scary to live in his world of darkness.
    His memory loss is worse when he is in a new place and I so wish I could fix it for him.

Sunflowers are special, they brighten the day.

• mwoods
    13 years ago

Well..you know we are there with you Jan. Once he gets out of that place and off some of the stuff they probably have him on,some of that confusion will go away as you well know.My wish for you both is that you are soon out of there and back into your routine. Thank you so much for keeping us posted. You have been around here long enough to know that we check in on each other daily when there is a crisis,so we can soon all give a collective sigh of relief when it has passed.

• jazmynsmom
    13 years ago

Now I really wish I were close enough to keep you company. As scary as it is to live in darkness and confusion, I bet the hospital smells and sounds, which are a source of stress to most, are actually very comforting to him though.

I understand what you mean about the memory worsening in a new place. Routine is everything when memory loss is an issue. Though you can't fix his memory or his body, you embody stability and continuity for him. I have no doubt your presence is the most comforting thing he has. Even when he doesn't seem to remember you, or seems to be agitated.

When it gets too much, I'd like to invite you to come hide with me in my sunflower fort. It's not visible from this angle, but there's a secret doorway, and the interior of this sunflower clump is completely empty. The floor is covered in a thick layer of cocoa mulch, so the warmth of the sun makes everything smell like chocolate. There are morning glories climbing up the sunflowers, and they help make us invisible to the outside world. Feel free to come to this place often, and stay as long as you want. It's peaceful and restorative. It's a literal sunflower embrace.

{{gwi:196748}}

{{gwi:196750}}

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    13 years ago

Wow. I am just now seeing this. My thoughts and prayers are with you and Neil. Sunflowers and sunlight in his mind are my greatest wish. Take care y'all!!!

Love,
    Robin

• mawheel
    13 years ago

Janis, you and Neil are still in my thoughts and prayers and will remain there. Stay as strong as possible and rest when you can.

• gmatx zone 6
    13 years ago

Prayers and hugs going out for the true "Southern gentle couple".

• Janis_G
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Neil has been moved to a re-hab facility.
    I stayed home last night and worried most of the night that he would fall and break a hip or something.
    Me, the one who has said many times "don't borrow trouble".

I finally took one of those famous sleeping pills and managed to get some sleep.
    Neil is getting stronger and tomorrow he will start a twice a day exercise program.
    I want to be there to see what they will have him doing and how he manages.

Love to all of you for all your prayers , sunflowers and positive thoughts.
    Michelle, I go to your garden quite often and re-group.
    Thank you for sharing it with me. What a lovely place to hide.

• lilod
    13 years ago

Jan
    All I can do is send lots of love to you and Neil. Even under the circumstances you are so blessed to have a bond with each other that will never be broken, no matter what is happening.

• kathyjane
    13 years ago

Jan, I just logged in to check on GP'ers---I am so saddened to hear of Neil's downturn in health and stamina and will be saying prayers for both of you for help through this challanging time.
    I am with you in spirit, my friend!
    Love and prayers, Kathy

---A small plane just flew over the house on his climb-out.
    --I think it was just for you and Neil!!!

• Janis_G
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kathy, how I would love to sit down with you
    right now and share a BIG cup of coffee or tea.
    I miss your laughter and the comfort of your voice.

Neil is getting stronger. If only I could break through the
    fog that covers his mind and convince him that he will be
    going home with me soon.
    He thinks each time I leave that he will never see me again.
    What torture it must be for him.

I intend on taking him out of re-hab and taking him to my
    sister's for Thanksgiving. They (my sisters) have decided
    that I am not to cook this year and I've decided to take
    them up on it. Sure will be strange.

I have cleared it with the folks at re-hab so I can take
    Sassi to visit, I hope she cheers him up.

Can't get it through their heads that they have to tell
    Neil what's on his plate and cut up big hunks of meat so he can manage.

We'll get there, one day at a time.
    Love you all.

Jan

• mwoods
    13 years ago

Oh I'm so glad Sassi will be going with you to the hospital. I'll bet he knows her in a mini second.When mom was in the nursing home with advanced dementia,I would bring Cody and she always knew exactly who he was. It's also great that Neil will be out of there for Thanksgiving and with people who love him. Heck I wish you guys weren't going through this.

Sponsored
More Discussions