Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Quotes, 11/1/13

Posted by anneliese_32 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 1, 13 at 4:59

Memory is a child walking along a seashore. You never can tell what small pebble it will pick up and store away among its treasured things.
Pierce Harris

Memory...its the diary that we all carry about with us.
Oscar Wilde

The existence of forgetting has never been proven. We only know that some things don't come to mind when we want them.
Friedrich Nietsche

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Quotes, 11/1/13

Nietsche is correct, part of forgetting is also to stash certain things in the depth of our mind, as we don't wish to entertain any thought of them.
I specially like the Harris quote

o

• Posted by mwheel East. WV-Z.6 (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 1, 13 at 11:11

I like the Harris quote, too. However, I'm living proof of the Nietsche quote. The other day, DH and I were talking about computers; I said, " You know the one that doesn't have to be plugged in and can be carried around." The word wouldn't come to me till we talked about something else. Then, VOILA! LAPTOP!! There it was, thank goodness! I hate it when that memort lapse happens, and it occurs, more frequently, nowadays.

Unlike Nietsche, I want to remember! :(

o

I like the Friedrich Nietsche quote . I know all the stuff is in my brain somewhere, but sometimes I have a slow connection or I may have "selective" memory at times.

o

I find that my brain could need a reorganization. Bits and pieces are stored highly-pickly everywhere, what I need I can't find and on the other hand the most unlikely memories come falling out when I am not loocking for them or thought them long shredded.

o

• Posted by mwheel East. WV-Z.6 (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 2, 13 at 8:10

Do you think a casual reader could get the impression we're "not as young as we used to be"? LOL

o

"the most unlikely memories come falling out when I am not loocking for them or thought them long shredded."
The same thing is happening to me and in a search I came across a study about "mind-pops".
See link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mind-pops

o

Thanks west-gardener for the article. Interesting. I see my mind as a rather sloppy and overstuffed filing system, where I look for something and while I search, something else falls out and I dicover that it did hours or days later, laying around somewhere, until I pick it up. I never was a good filing clerk.

o

Great quotes- especially #1.

o

As a young woman, I worked as a file clerk for many years. To this day, I'm the record keeper, filer, book keeper, IRS record keeper etc. for both family and business.
Now, my brain want to do some "mind-pops". I find that interesting, that's what prompted my search.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here