Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Quotes, 11/8/13

Posted by anneliese_32 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 8, 13 at 6:06

Libraries: The medicine chest of the soul.
The Library in Thebes, inscription over the door.

A library is thought in cold storage.
Herbert Samuel

Perhaps no place in any community is so totally democratic as the town library. The only entrance requirement is interest.
Lady Bird Johnson

To those with ears to hear, libraries are very noisy places. On their shelves we hear the captured voices of the centuries-old conversations that make up our civilization.
Timothy Healy

There is not such cradle of democracy upon the earth as the Free Public Library, this republic of letters, where neither rank, office, nor wealth receives the slightest consideration.
Andrew Carnegie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Quotes, 11/8/13

Wonderful quotes--my idea of heaven is a library.

o

• Posted by mwheel East. WV-Z.6 (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 8, 13 at 9:19

Library references always make me think of the Twilight Zone episode starring Burgess Meredith as the last person left after some disaster had killed everybody else. He's actually not too distraught, b/c he now has time to read everything he wants. This makes him happy. Of course, the ending has a very different scenario for him!

Libraries truly are treasures; our small branch has kept up with the times by having computers, videos, video games, audio books, etc., available., in addition to the printed word. If they don't have it, they'll try to get it for you.

o

I do miss using the Bookmobile, it parks every Tuesday for two hours in the P.O. lot,will deliver and pick up books ordered on line from the Library i Willits, alas, I don't drive any more and Joann works on Tuesdays and I don't know of anyone in my vicinity interested in visiting the Bookmobile.

o

Some random thoughts.

Great quotes. I love libraries, just walking in, I feel a calm and excited at the same time.

'Perhaps no place in any community is so totally democratic as the town library. The only entrance requirement is interest.'
Lady Bird Johnson
In a way I agree, but one has to watch what is stacked on those shelves or what is not on the shelves.
After 9-11, the FBI wanted to search the reading habits of the patrons, but the Librarians fought back and stopped the searches.
My comments may be somewhat political, but I'll take a chance and say, Librarians are my heros in the battle of freedom of thought.

Here is a link that might be useful: Library

o

Mwheel, I remember that episode of the Twilight Zone too. It would scar my soul not to be able to read.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here