Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
1 November 2010

Posted by endorphinjunkie z7bAlabama (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 1, 10 at 7:04

The jails are full of one million non-readers. We can't let it happen again. If you allow another generation to grow up to be 12 years old.... without the ability to read, write, and think, we're sunk. If they can't read, if they can't write, if they can't think, they become criminals. We've already lost two generations. Unless we teach reading intensely and completely in kindergarten and first grade, the whole civilization goes to hell.

Ray Bradbury

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 1 November 2010

• Posted by lilod NoCal/8 (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 1, 10 at 11:23

Ray Bradbury uses SciFi and Fantasy to teach universal truth, I have always been an admirer of his work.

o

I absolutely agree with Bradbury, seems anymore it is COOL to be a non-reader. We have a wonderful library here in this little town but the computer room seems to be a lot busier than the book aisles.

o

I met plenty of people who proudly state that they never read a book after they got out of school, work manuals excluded.

o

Anneliese, I'd be very happy if the people in the trades would know how to read the "work manuals", but that does not seem to happen either.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here