endorphinjunkie

Rites of Thanksgiving

endorphinjunkie
13 years ago

From the alternative crowd.

It wouldn't be Thanksgiving without

Arlo

and the gang from WKRP

Happy Thanksgiving to all and especially to Rev and the others who are residing on the Group W bench...

Comments (16)

• kris_zone6
    13 years ago

I will never forget the turkey episode from WKRP. I saw it when it originally aired and I laughed so hard the tears were rolling down my face and I was rolling on the floor. Thanks Michael.

• batyabeth
    13 years ago

Ah, that was the Thanksgiving that was, Michael. Group W bench, indeed...........

• anneliese_32
    13 years ago

Just saw Arlo a bit ago in the Thanksgiving Parade from NYC. There are so many missing here. Wonder what John is cooking?

• mwoods
    13 years ago

I don't know but I'll bet oysters are included somehow.

• sheila
    13 years ago

My late partner was the assistant Art Director on WKRP when it began and later the Art Director, so I go to hear about all this stuff before it aired - and I still found it hilarious when I finally saw it on the air. The turkey show is brilliantly funny.

One of the very best comedy shows ever - high on my list with Get Smart, Mash and Laugh-In

• anneliese_32
    13 years ago

I more than once got kind of funny looks because I started to laugh in the turkey section. Of those of us who saw it the first time around, I think nobody forgot that.

• lilod
    13 years ago

There were so many brilliant people involved in good comedy, what happened?

• oscarthecat
    13 years ago

They all got old. Steve in Baltimore County

• sheila
    13 years ago

More and more executives got involved.. and now there are more and more writers. Dick Van Dyke Show, for example, pretty much just had Carl Reiner who also created and produced the show. I just dug out my old crew lists. I worked the first four seasons of "Friends" and there were around fifteen most of the time (that included the two creators).

• lilod
    13 years ago

Sheila, is it a case of "too any cooks" sometimes?

• mwoods
    13 years ago

Don't you think comedy changes with the times? My inlaws loved Lucille Ball,Milton Berle and others of that time and couldn't understand why on earth we would think Monty Python,all the programs that have been mentioned here,Gene Wilder and the rest were considered to be funny. Young people love the comics and shows of today which to me are silly and not at all clever but I really think it's just a generational thing a lot of the time.The humor 20 years from now will totally different from what is popular now.Shudder shudder.

• west_gardener
    13 years ago

endorphinjunkie, Interesting that you should post "From the alternative crowd." What do you mean by that?

• endorphinjunkie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It's for those who didn't exactly grow up in a Norman Rockwell painting.......

• pamven
    13 years ago

I think you would be amazed how many here didnt grow up in a Rockwellian(thank you Bigfoot for that phrase) environment and live daily with trials and heartache. Its just that some of us prefer to keep our private lives private and not blab them all over the internet.

• mjmercer
    13 years ago

Pam, whatever are you talking about?????

And I am compelled to say, I swear to God I thought turkeys could fly!

I worked at a radio station in college so of course I identified with WKRP. Yes, we had a Jennifer, an Andy, a Herb Tarlek, a Les Nesman and a Dr. Johnny Fever. Me, I was Bailey. :o)

WKRP is one of the few TV shows that, statistically speaking, never jumped the shark. I don't remember how they tally votes for jumped vs. not-jumped status, just that KRP and perhaps one or two other classic shows retained their creativity and "humor integrity" until the very end. The turkey episode imho is one of the best half-hours of television ever created. Well, along with "Chuckles Bites the Dust." But that's another thread. :o)

Karen

• west_gardener
    13 years ago

I certainly did not grow up in any Rockwell fashion. Far from it.
    I grew up in Scandinavia and we did not have thanksgiving day there. I married a nice American man from a traditional Rockwell family and my MIL introduced me to their traditional Thanksgiving. I adopted it and have done the same for some 50 years. I guess we had a Rockwell Thanksgiving this year.
    Lol, if I had married into an alternative family, our Thanksgiving might be a lot different.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida
More Discussions