Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I have done it?

Posted by anneliese_32 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 11, 12 at 9:32

This morning I killed one of those furry looking house centipedes while it was on it's way to a closet.
Then it dawned on me, that I really don't know anything about those critters. The outdoors centi- and milliepedes, yes but what do the indoors ones eat. So I looked it up and I think I should have kept it. They eat spiders, bed bugs, termites, cockroaches, silverfish, ants, etc.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I have done it?

Interesting - we don't have those critters here - I probably would have thought it strayed into the house and put it outside, where likely it would have perished (hard freeze this morning)
I'm sure you are not going to kill it's relatives, now that you know who they are :)

o

Was it this guy? I think it's probably a draw... as long as the idea of waking up with one on you is OK with you. That's what would have me smashing it. Way too fast to catch & release outside.

o

Yes, that's the one. They once in awhile come in when the back door does not fit tightly because that corner shifts slightly, depending on soil moisture.
A spider is a snail compaired to those guys.

o

There are such things as "house centipedes"? Good grief, I don't care what they eat, they would not be welcome in my house. Yes, to your question " Should I have done it?"

o

• Posted by Lindac Iowa Z 5/4 (My Page) on
    Sun, Nov 11, 12 at 21:00

Eww!!!!...Stomp!!!!
If you have enough other critters in the house to support their existance...you indeed have problems.

I had a colony of shrews a few years back....the shrews and their food source are now gone...I hope!!

o

House centipedes are 'fairly' common visitors in my house at certain times of the year. Can't say that I'm thrilled about it because they always seem to end up in the bath room...even in the shower. That does NOT make me happy! Better than a spider in the shower, though.

o

They come and go with how much moisture we have, it seems and with the seasons. Particularly on the shower curtain. It's a 200 year old house with triple course brick walls, both on the interior and exterior, that means a dead air space for three stories from the cellar up. It's part of living in a house this old, in the country. I imagine they are after the spiders, who are after something else. I don't have cooties, fleas, roaches or bedbugs, so I'm not complaining. It's just the predatory chain of command.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here