Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
endorphinjunkie

6 November 2009

endorphinjunkie
14 years ago

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend.

Thomas Jefferson

Comments (6)

• mwoods
    14 years ago

Well that's interesting. He and Hamilton started out as friends when they were on Washington's cabinet but grew to despise each other over politics.

• calliope
    14 years ago

It is an interesting quote. Mostly I don't have a problem with significant others on their personal agendas and am fine with differences of opinion or lifestyles as long as that courtesy is also extended to me. I suspect it boils down to there must be something we share to have some common denominators. I suspect, with me anyway, is to know the other person is true to their beliefs, is not trying to be cruel, and whether they chose to claim it for their own creed, be open minded enough to know somebody else might operate functionally with their own choices.

I have two cousins..sisters.....who are a different as night and day with their objectives and opinions. They co-exist just fine and the air is always filled with animated banter and it never escalates to stupid agendas. I'm totally comfortable to be in their midst because at the end of the day it's loving and civil. That's what it's all about.

• mawheel
    14 years ago

This quote should be posted on the Hot Topics Forum! The lack of civility and intolerance for others' opinions makes me sad. (But I still go there to read!)

• lilod
    14 years ago

So do I, mwheel, lurking most of the time, as I don't like to get slammed by some of the more rabid posters

• posieh
    14 years ago

I had two brothers, born 11 months apart and I believe they hated each other while they were still in cribs !
    They would tolerate being together in the family unit for about an hour, and then their disagreements would begin ending with fist fights or wrestling even after they were grown men and had familes and lived thousands of miles apart. Sad, state of affairs. One of them died five years ago, so now at least family reunions are peaceful.

• anneliese_32
    14 years ago

I certainly agree with Jefferson. Unlike the US, Germany has several parties, more in the time after WWII. At that time my grandfather lived with my family.
    Between the five of us we voted for 5 different parties. It made for some interesting dinner conversations without mayhem. Today my husband and number one son vote one way, the younger and I another. We still get along. We also go to 3 different churches.

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living
More Discussions