Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gandle

Thanksgiving

gandle
9 years ago

Are you traveling this year? George amd I are staying home. Instead of turkey we will have a couple of game hens. Been invited to all 3 of or childrens homes but we just don't want to travel that far. Besides, weather is nasty.

Comments (15)

• kris_zone6
    9 years ago

Happy Thanksgiving to you and George. Stay warm and safe. We will be traveling to our kids about 4 hours from here, weather permitting.

• mawheel
    9 years ago

We are in the midst of a snowstorm, right now, and could get five", so it's good we didn't plan to travel.

Leone, Happy Thanksgiving to you and George. Stay well.

• anneliese_32
    9 years ago

Happy Thanksgiving Leone and George. Son invited us, Would pick us up and bring home, weather should not be a problem here, but my husband does not want to go, for him it would be anything but enjoyable. So we stay home and I make a small turkey breast.

It's great to hear from you Leone. Makes my Thanksgiving. Give Georg a hug from me, I miss his stories.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    9 years ago

My best wishes to you two. Being at home like that can be a blessing. You don't have to make fancy stuff. Just enjoy.

We will drive about 2.5 hours to the missus' sister's house. (It is too far for them to drive to our house!) They don't eat until after 4:00, so everyone nibbles on whatevers. We'll get home in time for my shower and then to bed.

Jim

• gmatx zone 6
    9 years ago

May everyone have a most tummy filling, thankful Thanksgiving ever! We are going over to youngest son's in-laws. They just moved here recently from California.

Leone, thanks for posting and be sure to tell George I miss him.

• west_gardener
    9 years ago

We are staying home and we are ready for Thanksgiving. Frozen turkey meals and a pumpkin cream pie for dessert. DD is working all day, but she and GS will be here on Saturday. Others are in OR and southern CA, we don't do long drives any more.
    Happy Thanksgiving to all.
    Thanks for posting leone, say "Hi" to George.

• janis_b
    9 years ago

I am going to my sister's house.
    We sibs always take food and it will be a southern feast.
    I made a Buttermilk Pie today, an Orange, Cranberry salad.
    Also I am going to make a Veggie Pasta Salad with Ranch Dressing.
    There used to be such wonderful Drama in my kitchen in the days leading up to Turkey Day and Christmas Day. All the kids would come home and I would be in the kitchen for days cooking and baking. Neil and I would be singing off key. I almost always burned either my fingers or food. Or I would slice a finger instead of the meat.

Lots of laughter, always.

• lilosophie
    9 years ago

Joann and I will be going up the road a mile or so to have dinner with a friend/neighbor, she is Joann's riding buddy,
    I am bringing sour-sweet red cabbage to the feast, there will be turkey and trimmings. Only Lil, her daughter, Joann and I will be dining together.
    Strange not to be fixing dinner here, but a nice change.
    Rain is on the horizon, predicted 4 - 6" from this storm
    but it will not start until later on Thursday, we shall be home by then.

• lilosophie
    9 years ago

I clicked too soon - I am happy to see Leone (&George) post and wish you both a nice Thanksgiving, wise not to travel that day.
    Weather, roads and traffic all don't encourage trips, best to stay put.

• mjmercer
    9 years ago

This is how/where I'm spending a portion of my day. :o) It's actually part of my physical therapy. I'll be walking in the shallow end...backandforthandbackandforth. I'm rebuilding the quads in my right leg after a nasty, painful fall last July. But still, there are many worse ways to spend the day.

Karen

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    9 years ago

Happy Thanksgiving! We are now back from mom's on the other side of town. Sated and grateful for a better year all around.

• janis_b
    9 years ago

Turkey
    Dressing
    Gravy
    Strawberry Nut Salad
    Cranberry Orange Salad
    Hash brown Potato Casserole
    Cranberry Relish
    Fried Okra
    Baked Beans
    Creamed Corn
    Cornbread Salad
    Green Beans
    Macaroni and Cheese
    Broccoli Casserole
    Grape Salad
    Sweet Potato Casserole
    Potato Salad Cole Slaw
    Pasta Salad

Mixed Berry Cobbler
    Buttermilk Pie
    Pumpkin Pie
    Banana Pudding
    Red Velvet Cake Roll
    Coconut Cake
    Coconut Cream Pie

• anneliese_32
    9 years ago

Janis, I hope this was a combined families effort. If I would have to do this, I would pack my bags and hide out where nobody celebrates Thanksgiving..

• janis_b
    9 years ago

It is a combined family effort.
    We still have Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners together
    since our mom died.
    We're one of those all for one and one for all families.
    It's a good feeling to know that we have each other
    no matter what comes our way.

• mawheel
    9 years ago

Janis, what a menu! It all sounds delicious and filling. How great that you and your family get together and enjoy each other's company. Hope everybody helped with the clean up!

Sponsored
More Discussions