Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilosophie

Hard freeze this morning -

lilosophie
11 years ago

Bless my wood-stove!

Fall had been really nice to me, it even let go of some rain, so all the brown is sprouting green and we don't have the usual water-worries, at least not as severe. We still need another 4" or so before the pond fills, we may be lucky and have it full by Thanksgiving.

It is definitely getting colder, sun is losing power and the days are shorter, the hardwoods are shedding, cats are eating more and spending much more time inside. Last night, for the first time, I took Phred to bed with me (the hot water bottle) it felt good.

Thanksgiving will be shared with DD Linda, SIL Brian and DGS Trevor. I will do the turkey, Joann will do appetizers and Linda will bring the rest of the meal, pies made by Brian who also will have a birthday that day.

Linda insists that she will bring the old family china to eat in style. It should be a enjoyable holiday - we need one.

Comments (8)

• oscarthecat
    11 years ago

That wood stove looks inviting and brings back many old memories.

• mawheel
    11 years ago

Steve, I agree with you; the wood stove looks very inviting--toasty and warm. It doesn't bring back old memories for me, but DD and her ex had one, which we enjoyed whenever we'd visit in the winter.

Lilo, your Thanksgiving plans sound nice; nobody has to do it all. I like that!

• west_gardener
    11 years ago

Yes, we also had a frost here in the valley. I got up around 3am, it was 68 degrees in the house, I turned it up to 72 and went back to bed..

• anneliese_32
    11 years ago

73 degr. the hight today and instead of doing it tomorrow, I ran this afternoon and washed windows. On Sunday and why? Cold front coming through after midnight, rain, maybe sleet and snow and tomorrow night in the 20ties. Will be a while before I can open windows for washing and not have my husband freeze. Anything under 80 is cold for him. That's the guy who, when not in uniform, wore short sleeves the year around and a sweater only when skiing.

• lilosophie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Never thought of washing windows, and I am really disturbed when they are not clean, but my windows slide and I can wash them any time on the inside, and wash them outside weather permitting.
    Seems when health fails, the human body needs more warmth, Joann dealt with that when Ron was so sick - her propane and fire-wood, plus an electric heater expenses ate a good chunk of their budget, now that he is gone, she's amazed about that. Another friends is now caretaker of her sister and needs to keep the house @ 80.

• gandle
    11 years ago

A bit chilly last night. The radio said 8 degrees and it was colder west of here. Should have run the wood burner all night but am getting too lazy to get up and feed it, so the furnace ran a lot.. Forgot to empty the bird bath so hope it isn't broken from the expandind ice.

• Castaway_Kitty
    11 years ago

That fireplace looks so cozy!! I miss fires, and hot soup and chilly mornings - really! It gets down to the low 80's here. Thanksgiving and Christmas feel out of place in the tropics, I'm still getting used to that. But I can start seeds anytime, so that keeps me happy! Just planted a few lemon seeds in hopes to have some fruit to harvest in a couple of years! =-)

• west_gardener
    11 years ago

Castaway_Kitty, I can identify with missing cold christmas and all the memories. I come from Scandinavia where christmas was a wonderland, moved to the US and lived in VA. No snow or cold weather, but plenty of christmas spirit. Went to Hawaii one year and there were lights in the palm trees.
    We live in CA now, and christmas is celebrated with lights all over the place.
    BTW, I still miss the old fashioned christmas. We got hold of a branch of a birch tree and we are making an old fashioned birch log, with living candles.

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio
More Discussions