Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gandle

That smells so good

gandle
11 years ago

George is the baked bean maker and he soaked navy beans all night zand put them in the bean pot with his mix of wonderful smelling and tasting things. He likes to cook them for at least 8 hours and often more. He uses a hunk of salt pork that he scalded for quitr a while and I know there is molasses and I realluy don't know what else. We will have B@M canned brown bread with the beans. For such a cheap dish it is heavenly. Maybe it isn't cheap, the gas oven going for 8 or 10 hours. He pours boiling water in them once in a while. Hard to wait for dinner. Maybe I'll make some gingerbread, that will go in the other oven.

Comments (13)

• anneliese_32
    11 years ago

I bet it tastes so good also. Have never made baked beans and have no husband who would make them for me.

• lindac
    11 years ago

Better get some gingerbread or perhaps an apple crisp in that oven. never bake an orphan they say.
    I put some onion and mustard in my beans along with the molasses and salt pork.
    I need to make some beans soon!

• west_gardener
    11 years ago

Lol, I can smell it all the way from Nebraska to California. Then refried beans, Swedish brown beans and canned pork and beans.

• gabriell_gw
    11 years ago

Your house must smell devine.I make baked beans but with canned beans, George's must taste much better.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

I have a couple of bags of dried beans in the pantry, just waiting for me. I'm probably going to make a batch of bean soup, another favorite way to eat white beans. Love homemade baked beans, though.

• GulfportGail
    11 years ago

Ummmm...sounds wonderful!!

• Castaway_Kitty
    11 years ago

Sounds yummy! I just recently learned how to soak & cook dry beans, rather than canned ones. So much cheaper! I wish I had discovered that years ago.

And also, "hello" to everyone! My first post here. This seems like such a friendly place to connect with other fun and interesting people! I've been reading through the other forums for gardening tips for a while now. I figure it's about time to join the party. ;-)

• mawheel
    11 years ago

Welcome, Castaway Kitty! You'll find folks at the Garden Party friendly, caring, helpful, knowledgeable--all the good adjectives you can think of. Not as many people post as used to, I guess sometimes life gets in the way, but this is one place I come to every day, usually a couple of times.

Again, welcome; glad you've joined the party

• anneliese_32
    11 years ago

Hello Castaway Kitty. Glad that you join us, our little group needs some newcomers.
    Please tell us about your corner of paradise. I have a picture in my head - blue ozean, palms and yearlong blooms, which would come just right after all the missery on the East Coast here.
    Besides, with all of us pet lovers, we gladly take in a Castaway Kitty.

• gandle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Kitty, glad you could join us.

• Castaway_Kitty
    11 years ago

Thanks for the warm welcome! There are only about 4,500 people that live here, I like hearing from people out in the "real world." =-) I grew up in Chicago & have never had luck growing a garden, but the conditions here are much better so I hope I left my brown thumb back in the states.

Blue ocean, yes indeed. Lots of tropical plants. Lots of tourists on vacation too. I'm currently working in a shop & we never get a lot of traffic in here. I would have shared a photo of the ocean, but haven't been to it yet today, so here's a photo of the bananas that are growing in the yard of the house we're renting. I hope they ripen soon!

We do have a kitty, well... now I guess I have to say we "share" a kitty. A little tabby started coming around & I started feeding it, and he started coming in the house, and I started buying him toys & now he stays a lot of the time. I thought he was a stray (there are many here), but we had dinner with the neighbors the other night & they were "missing" a kitty, and yup - that's the one. We all laughed. I guess he likes the food I serve better. So now we get him in the evenings, but make sure he's out during the day to visit his old folks.

• west_gardener
    11 years ago

Hi Castaway Kitty. Welcome. Luv the pic of the bananas. We had a shared kitty at one time. Her name was Butter Cup, she spent the nights at her parents place and came over here during the day. It worked out very well.

• Castaway_Kitty
    11 years ago

Thanks, west_gardener. I can't give my time-share kitty up, so I'm glad the sharing might work. It also give me a good excuse to adopt another cat!

And, sorry to all - I did not mean to hijack the thread... but I didn't see a place for introductions or newbies.

Sponsored
More Discussions