Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
His choice and I have to agree

Posted by gandle 4 NE (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 29, 12 at 14:23

DIL's father is i the local hospital and diagnosed with bladder cancer, The man is 91. He hasn't been able to get around well in the last couple of years. The cancer is treatable according to the MD's but he has now refused to either drink or eat and will be sent home today in a hospital bed. He weakly joked that he would like to last at least through the Wisconsin-Nebraska football game saturday but he's tired and ready to go. I'm beginning to know the feeling.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: His choice and I have to agree

Sounds like something I told my son last week. We never want to die, but we can be ready. He sounds ready. I hope you're not! You sound like you have too much fun to be ready. But only you can know your time. I hope he finds his peace.

o

I get being tired. At 91 he's experienced so much and I'd imagine his poor, tired body is saying "enough already." At least it sounds like he has caring family members to surround him as he contemplates his next journey.

Karen

o

• Posted by mwheel East. WV-Z.6 (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 29, 12 at 18:11

George, I admire his courage and his family's support of his choice. It can't be easy for them, but they'll know they did what he wanted.

o

One of my Norwegian uncles chose to go that way.He said he was tired and the family understood.

o

At times in our lives we all have that thought of just letting go, then we find a reason however obscure to continue. Would that we all had the choice to let go when the circumstances are unmistakeable. This person in your life is blessed with this choice. Kudos to him for expressing that dignity. Most of us still have work to do of one kind or another.

A dying man needs to die, as a sleepy man needs to sleep, and there comes a time when it is wrong, as well as useless, to resist.
Stewart Alsop

For death is no more than a turning of us over from time to eternity.
William Penn

o

We are going to see more and more of this type of "choice" as more people are becoming aware of what can be done to extend (not save..extend ) life.

For What??? six weeeks, or six months more? Really, what does a few more weeks or months of time mean to a person that has managed to make it for decades.

Let's face it. Death will affect 100% of us. Trying to extend it is something that the fearful do.

He is making a wise choice. I wish him a easy time.

o

Fri, Nov 30, 12 at 7:29

Don, the quote by William Penn is magnificent; what a beautiful, inspiring thought to keep in one's mind.

o

I agree that the quote is magnificent. It's what makes the process easier for me to understand and not be fearful.

o

It is what Ron choose when it was evident that there was not even a remission possible, he was in constant pain and the quality of life was non-existent. It was the wise choice.

o

• Posted by pamven z5neastindiana (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 30, 12 at 13:41

At 91 the "cure" may kill him faster than the cancer. He made a wise choice.

o

Bill passed away last night, guess he just willed himself to quit living. He requested no services unless the family had a private one.

o

I am sorry to hear about your friend.

o

Condolences.

o

Condolences to the family. It appears he was ready and had the end he wished for.

o

Condolences to you all.
I feel some people 'just know.'
I'm sure he appreciated you being supportive of his decision.

o

Mon, Dec 3, 12 at 21:31

Synpathies to his family; I'm glad for them and him that he didn't linger. Still, it's hard, no matter what the circumstances.

o

My sympathy to the whole family. It was a choice I hope to be able to make when the time comes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here