Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gandle

His choice and I have to agree

gandle
11 years ago

DIL's father is i the local hospital and diagnosed with bladder cancer, The man is 91. He hasn't been able to get around well in the last couple of years. The cancer is treatable according to the MD's but he has now refused to either drink or eat and will be sent home today in a hospital bed. He weakly joked that he would like to last at least through the Wisconsin-Nebraska football game saturday but he's tired and ready to go. I'm beginning to know the feeling.

Comments (17)

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    11 years ago

Sounds like something I told my son last week. We never want to die, but we can be ready. He sounds ready. I hope you're not! You sound like you have too much fun to be ready. But only you can know your time. I hope he finds his peace.

• mjmercer
    11 years ago

I get being tired. At 91 he's experienced so much and I'd imagine his poor, tired body is saying "enough already." At least it sounds like he has caring family members to surround him as he contemplates his next journey.

Karen

• mawheel
    11 years ago

George, I admire his courage and his family's support of his choice. It can't be easy for them, but they'll know they did what he wanted.

• west_gardener
    11 years ago

One of my Norwegian uncles chose to go that way.He said he was tired and the family understood.

• User
    11 years ago

At times in our lives we all have that thought of just letting go, then we find a reason however obscure to continue. Would that we all had the choice to let go when the circumstances are unmistakeable. This person in your life is blessed with this choice. Kudos to him for expressing that dignity. Most of us still have work to do of one kind or another.

A dying man needs to die, as a sleepy man needs to sleep, and there comes a time when it is wrong, as well as useless, to resist.
    Stewart Alsop

For death is no more than a turning of us over from time to eternity.
    William Penn

• agnespuffin
    11 years ago

We are going to see more and more of this type of "choice" as more people are becoming aware of what can be done to extend (not save..extend ) life.

For What??? six weeeks, or six months more? Really, what does a few more weeks or months of time mean to a person that has managed to make it for decades.

Let's face it. Death will affect 100% of us. Trying to extend it is something that the fearful do.

He is making a wise choice. I wish him a easy time.

• mawheel
    11 years ago

Don, the quote by William Penn is magnificent; what a beautiful, inspiring thought to keep in one's mind.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    11 years ago

I agree that the quote is magnificent. It's what makes the process easier for me to understand and not be fearful.

• lilosophie
    11 years ago

It is what Ron choose when it was evident that there was not even a remission possible, he was in constant pain and the quality of life was non-existent. It was the wise choice.

• pamven
    11 years ago

At 91 the "cure" may kill him faster than the cancer. He made a wise choice.

• gandle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bill passed away last night, guess he just willed himself to quit living. He requested no services unless the family had a private one.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    11 years ago

I am sorry to hear about your friend.

• User
    11 years ago

Condolences.

• lilosophie
    11 years ago

Condolences to the family. It appears he was ready and had the end he wished for.

• GulfportGail
    11 years ago

Condolences to you all.
    I feel some people 'just know.'
    I'm sure he appreciated you being supportive of his decision.

• mawheel
    11 years ago

Synpathies to his family; I'm glad for them and him that he didn't linger. Still, it's hard, no matter what the circumstances.

• anneliese_32
    11 years ago

My sympathy to the whole family. It was a choice I hope to be able to make when the time comes.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!
More Discussions