Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilosophie

Getting ready for the "Pineapple Express"

lilosophie
11 years ago

I know we had been fortunate to have rain, even some fairly heavy rain, but it's a rehearsal for the real thing: 8 - 12" in the next few days - from the tropics. We call it the Pineapple Express.
It is also a windy one, so batten the hatches is important. So far I made sure we have drinking water stashed, made sure enough firewood is on the deck out of the rain, filled chicken's self-feeder, did pending laundry and am running the dish-washer (need to do that some more) make sure flash-lights and batteries are in place.
Will shower and wash my hair this evening, vacuum everywhere today, check food-supplies, give the house-plants a drink and then it may do whatever it does, sure the pond will fill, NOAA warns of small creeks and rivers flooding.

Comments (22)

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    11 years ago

Flooding, and lines going down. You are on my mind dear Lilo! Stay safe and let us know when you can. Pet the animals an extra pat from me.

• mawheel
    11 years ago

Lilo, I will be thinking about you and Joann, and all the other folks who will be affected by the "Pineapple Express". Your preparations tell me you've been thru this, before! No matter where one lives, Mother Nature is really the one in control!

• west_gardener
    11 years ago

Yes, "they" say a couple of rainy storms are coming to the bay area. A lot of the leaves have fallen, so we cleaned out the gutter (street) so the water could could flow freely toward the drains, cleaned the sidewalk, so people would not slip and slide. Fixed a big batch of spaghetti that can be reheated on a sterno stove. I have flash lights, candles and a wood burning fireplace and some wood. I have a very old boombox, that runs on batteries and power.
    We can "camp out" at home for some time, but I won't like it
    . I hope all goes well for you lilo, it sounds like you are prepared for the deluge.

• anneliese_32
    11 years ago

Did see the weather report for the coast and have been thinking of you. You seem to be well prepared. Stay safe and please report in if and when you Californians can.

• lilosophie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

West, we have had this so many times, at least once each rainy season, it's become standard routine. No power, no water is the biggest pain, but catching run-off from the roof, it cam flush toilets and be used for even dish-washing, if 1/4 cup household bleach is added and I can light my gas cook-top with matches and have all the cooking surface I need.
    No shower, but cats and dogs don't mind :)

• lilosophie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

#1 of three has arrived, hard rain and heavy winds - trees are dancing - it is said to be fast moving and the mildest of the trio, #2 is waiting in the wings, arriving tonight or tomorrow

• User
    11 years ago

Overcast today here, supposed to be 30% and 50% tomorrow. Can use the water to green up things and lower the water bill. Just not too much as that will load the hills for fires next summer.

Could be a wet ride to the VA. Going to see primary nurse -practitioner and a lot of lab work. The heart monitor I am wearing was supposed to be on me till the 3rd but has technical problems so box it up and mail it back to the company back east today. Will stop in at the holter monitor lady to find out what the next move is.

• User
    11 years ago

Changed to 70% tonight and tomorrow so sure to get wet. We are on the bottom edge of the storm and Underground weather say 11" for you up north by the weekend. Guess the pond is going to be filled for the winter. Is it possible to raise the banks to retain more water for the summer?

• lilosophie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The pond is filling already, unfortunately after all the clear-cuts at the source of this seasonal creek the first water is very silty, which makes the pond likely more shallow as the years pass.
    Can't raise the banks, probably could make the sides less sloping and dredge the pond, but at $200.00 per hour it's a bit much for our budget.

• west_gardener
    11 years ago

The first storm came and went, a lot of wind and more leaves falling. I'm glad we had our trees thinned out in the fall, so we don't have to worry about them (much).
    Storms 2&3 are coming in soon.
    Don, It does sound like you will have a "wet ride" to the VA. My thoughts are with you and I hope you can cope with the added stress.
    Let us know about the next step.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    11 years ago

We're watching the pictures of it out here. I'm still thiking about y'all more than usual. I hope all is ok and cozily inside!

Don, stop in Nashville on your way there. My doc is the best electrophysiologist in the world. One of. And it'd be great to see y'all!

• west_gardener
    11 years ago

I worry about mjmercer. She said she lived in the outback of Santa Rosa. No phone/internet connection and windy roads. The Santa Rosa area has had a lot of rain and they are even talking about closing the schools.
    She said she had a 3 month lease, and I think the time is just about up.I hope she does not have to make a move in this mess.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    11 years ago

Or maybe she moved before it all hit. We'll hope for the best!

• anneliese_32
    11 years ago

Hope you all are still in good shape weatherwise. Saw in the news the snowfall amount on Mt. Shasta and am wondering wether I should be envious since I like snow or glad that I don't have to shovel. Since the upcoming temps most likely will melt a lot of this, the run-off will be added danger. May you be spared landslides.
    We here in the middle of the country don't realize that too much water can create for you added problems next summer. It's such a balancing act.

• lilosophie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Had 4 1/2" rain in 24 hours - that was storm #2 - today it's just ordinary rain, Saturday is another biggie with high wind and maybe even more rain than the last one. I think jmercer, the big city girl, has no idea what outback really is, Santa Rosa and environs is a pretty well populated area, I don't even think I am in the outback, after all, I have electricity. Just saying...

• west_gardener
    11 years ago

For some of us,the new outback in our society is when we don't have the ability to communicate via modern means.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    11 years ago

I've come over here to check. How has everyone fared? Let us know if you can.

• lilosophie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Saturday night was the most intense, very heavy rain and howling winds, but everything came through o.k., nobody got much sleep. The creek in town overflowed it's banks and some stores got flooded, the Grocery store's parking lot was full of mud and other debris. The rainfall from Saturday afternoon to Sunday morning was 6.4" that is a lot of water!
    We are still looking to some more days of rain, heavy at, by Thursday it should get all clear for a while.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    11 years ago

More to come? Oy. I am sorry, but I am glad you're still posting. Mabye you're still standing? Stay warm and dry!

• lilosophie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We feel really blessed that the power stayed on

• User
    11 years ago

Those pesky clocks and electronics. Glad things are relatively OK and every one is going about their business.

• west_gardener
    11 years ago

Everything is fine here, and wonder of all wonders, the power stayed on. The creek that surrounds the subdivision got 11+ inches of rain. But thanks to the good planning by the farmers way back, the creek held.
    It was a partially sunny day today, so DH and I went out for a walk, ran a few errands, bought a few groceries to last us through the next part of the storm.
    It was so good to walk in the sunshine.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor
More Discussions