Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gandle

Conversations between genera?

gandle
11 years ago

Was pruning near the fence in the backyard and had just tossed the prunings in the compost pile and was just standing there when I heaard a soft rather "churr, churr" sound. There was a small squirrel sitting on its rear end only about 4 feet from me. It was looking intently at me an just making the soft churr sounds. I had never heard a squirrel make those sounds before. I started talking softly to it and it seemed to listen. Made a mistake, decided to go get a camera. That apparently wasn't what the squirrel had in mind because when I got back it was gone. No, I hadn't been imbibing and have never carried on a conversation with a squirrel before.

When I told Leone about it she said "It was probably asking you if you had seen it's mother."

Comments (9)

• west_gardener
    11 years ago

Lol gandle. DH has been talking to squirrels for years and they listen. I think he is a "squirrel whishpere" and also a little squirrly.(sp).
    It's OK............

• mawheel
    11 years ago

I get tickled when the chickadee scolds me for taking too long to fill the feeder. He'll perch on a branch just a few feet away, just waiting for me to leave. I know they can be coaxed--over time--to eat from one's hand, but as much as I would like that, I don't have the patience to do it.

• meldy_nva
    11 years ago

Were you pruning something edible? or maybe it was just commenting that building your nest on the ground wasn't a good idea.

DH talks to the birds and squirrels, and I think some of them have actually made the association between his words and the following events. Thus he will promise one squirrel to get some of the peanuts for it, and go back to feed it only to find 3 squirrels and a couple bluejays waiting for the goodies. OTOH, none of them seem to understand when I say, "Don't ask me for a peanut, only G feeds you."

• anneliese_32
    11 years ago

Meldy, my backyard circus does the same - I go out, one sees me, comments and by the time I get back with the peanuts or more food, they are all waiting for me. The only one who talked to me was the handicapped racoon who visited every day for a several years.

• west_gardener
    11 years ago

Now, DH is talking to newts in our back yard. A tiny newt, about 3" long, including the tail, is on our patio, DH asked how it was doing. Newt crawled to a shady place.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

I'm always saying it would be so much easier if we could communicate with the animals. Then the squirrels' amazing and prolific gardening talents could be harnessed! We could work in harmony instead of at crossed purposes.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    11 years ago

I used to, rarely, feed the squirrels fries around here, but I don't eat fries any more. I would imagine they'd ask me if I had any more of that sugary stuff. I too talk to the animals, but it's usually birds. I'll never forget the look that not too happy and incredibly confused hummingbird gave me when I took out the salvia it loved so much. I don't think I want to know what it was saying!

• anneliese_32
    11 years ago

That's why I have salvias blooming where they should not, the hummers would be disappointed.
    Got a new critter to talk to, even if I don't get an answer because he/she is too shy. Have a young possum visiting for the last few evenings and like the older one, likes grapes, cookies and leftovers before it hits cat kibbles.

• west_gardener
    11 years ago

anneliese_, a possum got into our yard and hid in our spa shed. Every time I tried to talk to it, and tell it to go "home", it bared it's teeth (it had big teeth) and hissed at me. I called every wildlife agency I knew and they told me to leave the door open during the night and it worked, it was gone the next night.
    The next time a creature shows up, I'll leave " grapes, cookies and leftovers" to a trail away from my yard..