Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
3r3o3b

Music question

rob333 (zone 7b)
13 years ago

Do you also have songs that affect you greatly? There are songs I can hear and there is an immediate change to my mood. I always brighten up when I hear many of the 50s and 60s, but especially The Lion Sleeps Tonight. Always. We had a tech who as playing this to test the sound system at at a meeting recently. We, who had come to finalize set up for tables, chairs, etc. came in and he immediately turned it down. We begged for it to be turned back up. All of us danced around the entire room. It was a riote! I can hear Leavin' on a Jet Plane, Scarborough Fair, or Dear Father and immediately feel melancholy. Cecelia or That Thing You Do! will perk me right back up. And If I had a Hammer, oh yea, patriotic. But in a different way than the Star Spangled Banner or Proud to be an American.

What about you? Any instant mood changers? Or is it just me?

Comments (11)

• mwoods
    13 years ago

Classical music on a whole tends to relax me..even when it's "busy." But pop music can put me a certain mood instantly,songs anywhere from the 50s until today. My mother taught me all the popular songs of her day when I was a very young child and when I hear "I'll Be Seeing You" which was my parents "song" I can't stop the tears now that they are gone. I don't care where I am,if I hear Louie,Louie,I Can't Get No Satisfaction,anything by ZZ Top and so many others I just start dancing..even when driving.
    Whenever I hear Moon River,I stop dead in my tracks because to me it's one of the most beautiful songs ever written and I'll never get tired of hearing it. I could go on forever Robin but I'll let someone else take over. Oh,no matter how dumb I tell myself the song is,I still smile when I hear the Chipmunks do Christmas Time Is Here.

• jazmynsmom
    13 years ago

Though I may or may not agree with the editorial perspective of the adults in this video (content = PG-13), this kid answers your question concisely and decisively...

• endorphinjunkie
    13 years ago

Hard to say, because it hard to choose just a few. I don't call it medicating with music for nothing.

Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody, Rod singing Maggie May, Pachebel's Canon in D, Barber's Adagio for Strings, Crowell's
    Earthbound, Beach Boys Surfer Girl and Good Vibration, David Clayton Thomas singing When I Die, most things by the Eagles, etc. ad nauseam.

• mwoods
    13 years ago

Maggie May is a pure gem..can't believe I didn't add that one.

• endorphinjunkie
    13 years ago

And let's not forget Steppenwolf's Born to be Wild. Spent many a Friday night as a teenager at the skating rink listening and skating to that.

• lilod
    13 years ago

Too many to mention, depends on the mood. Lately I am using Pandora, first thing in the morning I listen to classical - chamber-music mostly, and if I take my B/P it registers so nice!
    My collection of Classic Rock keeps me moving, and my collection of Big Bands reminds me of the Best in my Generation. They all have some I don't like, of course.
    Taj Mahal makes me want to dance and so does Bob Marley...and a lot of Verdi gets me beklempt...

• anneliese_32
    13 years ago

Yes, folkmusic of the 50s and 60s, The Weavers, Pete Seeger, Arlo Guthrie, Peter, Paul and Mary, all the songs you mention robb and even the "Purple People Eater".
    My mainstay are always the classics, Bach, Haydn, Haendel, Teleman, Mozart, music of the Renaissance.
    "Where are all the flowers gone" is my song of the day, at least right now but that don't mean that I might not sing along with Louis Armstrong and "When the Saints..." later in the day to get me out of my funk. There is so much great music and it can change your mood.

• andie_rathbone
    13 years ago

There are certain songs that bring back a certain point in time for me. That doesn't mean that they're good songs or even that I particularly like them, but whenever I her them a rush of memories comes immeidately flooding back. Mostly these are songs from the 60's through 80's.

• gandle
    13 years ago

Like andie just said, many song and music I really like are often shoved aside by some asinine things memory brings back or they are triggered by something I hear on the radio.

A favorite is the duet from Bizet's pearl fishers, never get tired of listening to Beethoven's ninth,how can you not like the aria nessun dorma especially when sung by Pavarotti and even the anvil chorus from Il Trovatore when you need some rousing music. Far too many more to even try to mention.

But, I woke just as the radio alarm went off at 6 am and what did I hear--Little boxes on the hillside and they are made out of tickey tackey. Don't remember the name of that particular song and it was followed by another I don't know the name of. Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got til its gone, tear down paradise and put up a parking lot.

What music to wake up to, guess I'll turn the radio to PBS.

• Lisa_H OK
    13 years ago

I love, love, love "The Lion Sleeps Tonight"!

Lisa

• west_gardener
    13 years ago

I was brought up with the classics and I still luv them, but when I saw and heard my first rock and roll movie/music I was hooked.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rock_and_roll