Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The old oak, called

Posted by lilosophie none (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 6, 12 at 17:26

"The Hangman's Tree"
When we moved onto this property, the oak was a bit younger and it had a dead branch sticking out at a right angle, reminiscent of the scenes in old Western, when the rustler was put on a horse, noose slipped around his neck and the good guys slapped the horse on the rear and made it run and the rustler met his just deserts, so we called it the hangman's tree.
It is the biggest and oldest tree on the property, a landmark.
Mistletoe grows on it, and it's hollow trunk is home to an endangered salamander, many species of birds live in it's branches.
The house you see is Joann's and she looks directly into all that life going on in the tree.
Thought perhaps you like to share the enjoyment.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The old oak, called

Nice.....

o

Aren't old trees great? I must say I have a love/hate relationship with large and old oaks. Love them 90% of the time, but then comes fall and falling leaves....!

o

• Posted by mwheel East. WV-Z.6 (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 6, 12 at 19:39

Beautiful picture and beautiful tree, Lilo. I hope it isn't too close to Joann's house, though. In light of all the downed trees in the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast areas b/c of Hurrincane Sandy, it might be a hazard, some day!! Esp. with the hollow trunk.

o

Tue, Nov 6, 12 at 20:20

Beautiful picture and beautiful tree, Lilo. I hope it isn't too close to Joann's house, though. In light of all the downed trees in the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast areas b/c of Hurrincane Sandy, it might be a hazard, some day!! Esp. with the hollow trunk.

o

Thanks for sharing the photo. There's just something about trees, especially old ones -- their sturdiness and connection to the earth.

o

That is a beautiful old tree! I love oaks! I even like them when they've lost their leaves & you can see all the lovely kinks in their branches.

o

I don't know much about trees so I searched oak and came up with the page below. The next time I see an oak, I'll sit down and meditate.It is a mighty tree.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Oak

o

Thu, Nov 15, 12 at 9:41

West gardener, that was a fascinating site. I'd carry an acorn for protection agains "illness and pain", but the other four things--even youthfulness at this point-- I think I'll pass on! LOL My neighbor has some kind of oak in her back yard, so I can get lots of acorns. I will remember to "ask permission and show gratitude", though!

o

My niece in Germany informed me that the Horticultural Tree Registry finally gave permission and will trim a branch of our oldest oak. It destroys the roof tiles on the house. It was already 100 years or so old when the Thirty Years War started. Makes me feel like a Mayfly.

o

Superstorm Sandy felled a 400 year old oak in my step-daughter's small town - it's a local landmark, was truly lovely. The whole town is mourning it's loss.

o

Oh my gosh, a 400 year tree being "felled" is a source of sadness.

o
Oak trees

In Ukrainian culture, a tree dying is a Very Bad Omen. It means a person nearby will die suddenly.

I've always been impressed with big old oaks. Eastern White Pines, too.

What a terrible thing that climate change is making trees into threats.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here