Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jim_1

Veteran's Day

jim_1 (Zone 5B)
9 years ago

It used to be called Armistice Day. Some person at some time decided to change the name. That is like Memorial Day - it used to be called Decoration Day.

I remember a time, when I was young, that on November 11, we students all stood at 11:00 am and faced east to honor those who had served.

On the news, I noted that more than 25,000 folks are expected in New York City for their parade on Tuesday. I also saw that many national retailers will be offering 'deals' of one kind or another to active duty personnel and veterans. That is a nice touch.

I was active duty between 1966 and 1970. When I came home from that 4-year enlistment (I was not drafted), I got nothing. The country has changed a lot since then. No way they can make it up to me after 40 plus years with just a free donut and coffee.

Jim

Comments (6)

• anneliese_32
    9 years ago

The majority in our town is either retired millitary or active, and family members of those two, or work as civilians for the military. The attitude towards the miilitary is different than in other places where they are more or less ignored. We used to have a parade, but there were more people in the parade than watching, LOL.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    9 years ago

Do you know who really gets forgotten, who also sacrificed? The families of military personnel who are far away from them. They do without their father, sons, mothers, etc. while they're away and possibly forever. I hold no bitterness for being forgotten. But I do draw attention to hold those who sacrificed in a different way, so we can also thank them today.

My thank you goes to all of those who serve, served, and who sacrificed. Thank YOU!

• gmatx zone 6
    9 years ago

Jim, like you I also remember this day being called Armistice Day. Wonder why the name was changed. The veterans of the Vietnam Era were treated horribly when they returned. And you are right, a free donut and cup of coffee, or a free meal can't correct that.

Robin, you are very correct about the families of military personnel also being deserving of our thanks. While they might not be in danger of IEDs or other physical aspects of war, they still pay a very high price for their loved one being away.

Today was Daddy's birthday - November 11, 1894. He served in WWI. Our oldest served 24 years in the Army and the youngest was in the Marines for 4.

We do have a Veteran's Day Parade here, but I have noticed that the turn out is getting fewer and fewer each year. That's sad.

To those who have any military connection, be it a service member or family of one, whether now or in the past - Thank You.

• gmatx zone 6
    9 years ago

Delete double post - oops.

This post was edited by gmatx on Tue, Nov 11, 14 at 15:13

• ctnchpr
    9 years ago

@ Jim-1

Thanks for going, buddy. I was in 67-71, and like you, I wasn't drafted and got nothing. But we have had a clear conscience all these years. It took me years - even decades - to overcome the resentment I had toward my neighbors who used their Dad's influence at the local Draft Board to avoid the draft or get in the National Guard.

• west_gardener
    9 years ago

I also want to thank the veterans and their families for their service. I'm just one person, but your service has had a direct, and positive impact on my life and freedom. I'll never forget.

I've had internet issues, that's why I'm late posting.

Sponsored
More Discussions